Q. Can headache occur as a side effect of BP medicine?

Published on Dec 11, 2015 and last reviewed on: Sep 03, 2018

I am a 50 year old female. I have aches in my limbs and thighs especially at night. It is often characterized by heaviness in limbs. I am getting headache chiefly in left side of the head.

I am taking painkiller at least once in a week for the same. I am taking Newtel 40 mg for blood pressure since a year. Kindly help with my condition.

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Plastic Surgery – Reconstructive And Cosmetic Venereology
#

Welcome to icliniq.com. First tell me in detail about your headache to help you in better way.

• What is the quality of your headache? Is it either pulsatile which means tis-tis or squeezing or aching?
  • Do you have any associated symptoms like nausea, vomiting, facial swelling, difficulty in vision, vertigo, difficulty with noise, etc?
  • For how long have you been suffering with this headache?
  • Is your blood pressure in normal limit or still raised? Do you have asthma?
  • Do you have any depressive symptoms like low mood, loss of interest, weakness, disturbed sleep and appetite, feeling of hopelessness, guilt, suicide, etc?

Revert back with the answers for the above questions to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

My headache is not so severe and continuous but is a regular one. I am having this for around a month and a half. I do not have any nausea, vertigo or facial swelling. There is no asthma or difficulty in vision.

My BP is in normal limit now. My doubt is, can headache occur as a side effect of Newtel? I visited a doctor and he said I have mild migraine and prescribed medicine.

Whenever I feel pain he advised me to take the tablet. He also said that migraine has a life cycle and after certain age it will vanish from body. It did not remain for long in me too.

I often feel low as my children are in twenties and not settled in job. It causes low mood. But, I do not feel any lack or loss of appetite or sleep. What do you think of my heaviness in legs and pain in thighs?

#

Probably, you are having tension type headache. It happens due to muscle tension. It also explains your body ache. My prescription is tablet Amitryn (Amitriptyline) 10 mg at night for one week and then have tablet Amitryn 25 mg at night and continue it.

Tablet Amitryn is useful in both tension type headache as well as migraine. Also take tablet Cetadom (combination of Domperidone and Paracetamol), one tablet on SOS basis that is take at the time of starting of headache only. Review after 21 days, as adjustment of dosage of medication is needed according to effect and side effects.

Revert back after 21 days for review to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

My blood pressure is erratic. Can you help ?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30 year old. Recently, I started having high blood pressure. It goes up and down a lot. At some times, it is 170/90, and at others, it is 130/80. Recently I have done a blood test, where my Hb was 10.52, cholesterol was 152, triglyceride was 165, HDL 28 and LDL was 91. The other...  Read Full »

Can a migraine and a tension-type headache coexist?

Query: Hello doctor, In short, I have a baby who is now 9 months old. I have started having a visual aura (fortification spectrum) and migraine around two months ago. The aura was almost always on the left side of the vision and the headache (which was quite mild), was on the right side of my head, at the ...  Read Full »

High Blood Pressure: Things You Need To Know!!

Article Overview: High blood pressure is a very common condition with serious consequences if left untreated. This article is aimed at providing basic knowledge about the causes, treatment, complications and prognosis of hypertension. Read Article

High Blood Pressure or Hypertension is a very common and serious condition which if untreated may lead to permanent and often fatal damage to various organs of the body including the heart, kidneys, brain and eyes. Hypertension means the pressure of the blood inside the blood vessels is higher than ...  Read Article