Acromegaly

Can I bring the insulin-like growth factor 1 levels to normal after surgery for a pituitary gland tumor?

Query: Hello doctor, Last year, I was diagnosed with a tumor in my pituitary gland. It was surgically treated six months back. Before surgery, my insulin-like growth factor 1 levels were around 1300, and after surgery, it dropped to 500. How to bring it to a standard level? Please help me with this, doctor...  Read Full »

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. There is an excess production of growth hormones despite pituitary resection surgery. I suggest you take (consult with a specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take medicines with their consent) tablet Bromocriptine 1.25 mg once a ...  Read Full »

Are there any tests that I can take to find out the reason for my big head?

Query: Hi doctor,I have a big head. And a plastic surgeon said that I have a pituitary problem. Are there any tests that I can take to find out the real issue?Thanks.  Read Full »

Dr. Thiyagarajan. T

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.I believe your plastic surgeon suspects you may have acromegaly or less likely Cushing's syndrome. My suspicion is low at this point.1) Do you have spacing between your teeth?2) Do you have headaches?3) Is there any excess sweating?4) Do you have any swelling of hands and f...  Read Full »

What are the causes of hyperhidrosis?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 15 year old boy and I have hyperhidrosis. I sweat so much. My shirt cannot stay on for at least 5 minutes. In some half an hour to one hour my whole shirt and armpit area will drench in sweat. Yes, I take a shower twice a day and put deodorant every day. I have even tried the anti...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Hyperhidrosis or excessive sweating could be due to endocrine or hormone related issues. I have explained the causes below. Hyperthyroidism - A simple, non-fasting blood test called TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) will help in diagnosing this problem. Acromegaly - Ano...  Read Full »

Is it possible to get taller after 17 years of age once the growth stops?

Query: Hello doctor, My question is about height. I do not care about height, but it is just curiosity, my hobby, so I am not trying to cry somehow, I am just interested in this topic. If a person stops growing at the age for example 17 years and his or her height remains unchanged since then, is it possi...  Read Full »

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Let me answer each one of your questions one by one. No, this is not possible. Example, if in the female the bone plates have fused by 16 to 18 years and in males by 18 to 21 years then there is no possibility for these bones to grow vertically. Usually, there is ...  Read Full »