Q. My brother had an acute pancreatitis and CT shows pancreatic pseudocyst formation. Please help.

Answered by
Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 15, 2020

Hello doctor,

My brother is 43 years old. He had an episode of acute pancreatitis last year. Gas and indigestion persisted since then. A recent CT scan has shown a possibility of pancreatic pseudocyst formation.

The doctor has advised to remove the same by the procedure. My query regarding this is whether the pseudocyst can be treated by medicines or a procedure is recommended. And if yes, whether a laparoscopic procedure can be opted. What are the advantages and disadvantages? If there is a chance of the pseudocyst being formed again after the procedure?

I am currently on Atowa Aony, Prankeeatoflat, Sompray D, VSC 3#, and Telma AM.



Welcome to

When he had the first episode of pancreatitis? What is the size of the cyst by ultrasound? What is serum amylase or lipase levels? Is he a diabetic? Is he an alcoholic? Will you please answer to above questions if possible.

If pseudocyst usually acute means we will wait for four to six weeks for recovery. If it is not recovering with medication or increasing the size in sequential CT scans or it causing any complications (adjoining vessel compression or size > 5 cm or infected or causing bowel obstruction or symptoms of decreased appetite or weight loss) need surgery. Yes, you may undergo laparoscopic pseudocyst gastrostomy or cysto jejunostomy.

For this procedure need experienced hands and long term outcome not known. But less morbidity and success rate. Yes in 15-18% of causes recurrence.

Thank you doctor,

I have attached the CT scan and blood reports. Lipase level is 534 u/l. I am a borderline diabetic and no alcoholic.



Welcome back to

I undergone all of your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The cyst size is 17 ×11×15 and it is compressing the adjoining structures so need an intervention. It is better to undergo endoscopic surgery to decompress the cyst. So please consult a surgical gastroenterologist near by he will examine and treat you accordingly.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
CT scan shows bilateral cerebral atrophy with delusion in an older person. What should be done?

.. symptoms you have described, of paranoid ideation, suspiciousness, restlessness, decreased sleep are all indicative of a psychotic type of illness, most probably schizophrenia. It will require treatment from a psychiatrist with antipsychotic medic...   Read full

Gallstones - All You Need to Know

.. the gallbladder due to an imbalance in the composition of bile or due to stasis. Gallstones are generally composed of cholesterol, bile pigments, and mucin. Gallstones can be asymptomatic and incidentally detected on an ultrasound scan. They can c...   Read full

CT scan shows non-growing lung nodules with scars. What does it suggest?

.. found six years back would have manifested into multiple lesions by now if there were cancer and you are right in your thoughts. Usually, cancer nodules double in 30 to 180 days time and if the nodules did not change in six months then cancer is n...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Sexual Problems and Depression
Depression is one of the commonest psychiatric problems in the general population. About 10 % of men and more than doubl...  Read more»
Holiday Season During the Pandemic
Most of us wonder if there is a way to celebrate the holiday season during the COVID-19 pandemic safely. Here are some i...  Read more»
Skin Care Tips To Win Over Winter
This article discusses a few tips to manage and protect your skin during winter.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.