Q. CT scan taken for giddiness shows cerebral atrophy. Please suggest.

Dr. Gursimran

CT scan report of the brain shows that I have cerebral atrophy. What does it mean, and what should I do? I need proper guidance and suggestion.

I have giddiness, and the doctor informed me that I have a vertigo problem. I am feeling good. But regarding the CT scan reports, I need clarification.

I am currently taking psychiatric medications, ulcer medications, migraine medications, and now for vertigo problem. Please help.

I have done blood test, urine test, ECG, and CT scan of brain.

#

Sorry to know regarding the symptoms. Mild Cerebral atrophy means that your brain size and volume is a little less as compared to others. Now it is a very subjective thing, and you need not worry about it. This is not related to your vertigo episode.

Commenting upon cerebral atrophy on a CT scan is very difficult and is not fully correct. If you can do all your household work, office work, shopping, drive, dealing with money matters, cooking, taking care of your family, then this mild cerebral atrophy does not make any difference in your life.

Usually, when there are memory problems, concentration problems, personality disorders, difficulty recognizing things, and in old age above 60, the cerebral atrophy is shown on a CT scan and then confirmed on MRI. It is also a very subjective thing as some radiologists can report mild cerebral atrophy as normal. One more thing is when the scan was done, what is your activity level throughout the day, and are you working?

So, all in all, this is a very subjective finding, and you need not be worried about it. For high cholesterol, you will have to take medicine for some time along with the psychiatric medications. Take tablet Rosuvas 10 mg at night for cholesterol.

Please message me again if you have any more queries. As of now, the middle cerebral atrophy is not consistent with any diagnosis, and since you have given a history of taking psychiatric medication, this is a normal finding.

|