Age-related Macular Degeneration

What causes blurring in the central part of vision?

Query: Hi doctor, The patient is a 68-year-old male. He has diabetes for the last 20 years, and he is also having liver cirrhosis issues from two years before. As per age and problems, he can be considered fit as he eats well just like adults and likes to move around and do yoga. But recently, for the pas...  Read Full »

Dr. Arnab Pal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the blood reports and the eye reports (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity). The blood reports are satisfactory except that PPBS (post-prandial blood sugar) seems a bit high. That needs to be controlled. The eye reports document ...  Read Full »

Can lost eyesight due to AMD be regained?

Query: Hi doctor,I am asking questions on behalf of my uncle. My uncle is 94 years old with a weight of 68 kilograms and a height of five feet nine inches. Before a week, he lost his eyesight and he is unable to read now. He had diminishing eyesight. For this, he visited the eye clinic regularly until the ...  Read Full »

Dr. Asha Barboza

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is unusual that he has lost eyesight in both eyes simultaneously as his one eye was bad and the other one got deteriorated suddenly. AMD (age-related macular degeneration) is of two types. They are wet type and dry type. You have not attached the reports of his exist...  Read Full »

How is night blindness managed?

Query: Hello doctor, My father has night blindness and his overall vision is very bad. He is taking some medication to keep his vision from degrading. He has been given advise to try Ocuvite lutein and I am not sure whether that is a good product for him. I am not aware of the side effects associated with ...  Read Full »

Dr. Anand

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Night blindness at this age is very unlikely. This is mostly seen in children due to vitamin A deficiency. First thing is we need to diagnose his condition. At this age night blindness can be due to to retinal problems like retinitis pigmentosa (genetic disorder in which...  Read Full »

What is macular degeneration?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 68 years old. I have just been diagnosed with macular degeneration. The doctor basically stated that there was nothing that could be done as this was just a part of aging. He did suggest to eat more green leafy vegetables. When I suggested Kale and dark leaf vegetable powder, he la...  Read Full »

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you stated that you have been diagnosed with macular degeneration that is ARMD (age-related macular degeneration). Now, let us know what ARMD is. Macula is most sensitive part of retina (back portion of eye) and it must be healthy to have clear vision. But, due to many...  Read Full »

There is a cyst in the retina for my father. Which medicine will be suitable for him?

Query: Hi doctor, My father, who is 76 years old, has been diabetic for the last 25 years. He takes medicine and controls it within the range throughout. Around 20 years back, he had a cataract operation in both the eyes. There is no IOL. His eye problem started before two years. Due to which, there is bl...  Read Full »

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. After seeing the photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I can see sub-RPE (retinal pigment epithelium) drusens and pigment epithelial detachment in both the eyes. There is also intraretinal cystic fluid. These findings are suggestive of wet age-related m...  Read Full »

From the reports, can you tell me if I have ARMD or CSR?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 44 years old. 15 days ago, my left eye vision started getting distorted. I have no pain, and I never had any eye problem nor did anyone in my family. I went to the doctor, and the doctor did not give me any diagnosis so far. After a few scans, first one was taken 10 days ago and t...  Read Full »

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is very difficult to comment without examining your retina or your scans. As you mentioned there was blood at the fovea, this is suggestive of wet ARMD (age-related macular degeneration) rather than CSR (central serous retinopathy). Moreover, injection is advised f...  Read Full »

I was diagnosed with hard macular drusen. Can this turn into something serious?

Query: Hello doctor, Two years ago, I was diagnosed with mild hard macular drusen. As of last week, my doctor suggested treatment has been AREDS 2 eye vitamins, healthy eating, and cardio exercise. I have started everything along with my regular vitamins. I do not smoke or drink, and I do not have a fam...  Read Full »

Dr. Shikha

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your explanation, I can tell you have a dry variant of ARMD (age-related macular degeneration). This is an age-related change, and your treatment is going fine. This is the treatment recommended for this disease. No other treatment has come till date for this...  Read Full »