Albuterol

Even after taking inhalers, why do I continue to wheeze?

Query: Hi doctor, I have taken Albuterol and Advair twice a day for about a month now without any relief of my wheezing. Even right after I take my inhalers, it is like I took nothing. Allergy pills do not seem to help much either, like Claritin or Zyrtec. They even did an x-ray of my chest and said everyt...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Asthma, as you would be knowing, forms a part of airway hyper-reactive disorders. The latter is a spectrum of diseases genetically determined. Your attack of asthma seems to be severe now. I want to know the dosage and frequency of the medicines you are using for asthm...  Read Full »

Is it safe to use Albuterol steroid inhaler for longer period?

Query: Hello doctor, My mom is 85 and has a problem with wheezing from minor to severe. She has been on a steroid Albuterol nebulizer three times a day for almost a year. I am very concerned with the prolonged use of this steroid. Can you offer any insights or safer options regarding controlling her wheez...  Read Full »

Dr. Prathish Kumar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern for your mother. Elderly asthmatic usually requires steroid inhalers, nebulizer to reduce the progression of the disease. But the most important side effect is an infection of the buccal cavity mainly fungal. But it can be used safely provide...  Read Full »

How is pneumonia diagnosed?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is suffering from cough for the past four weeks. She started it out very gently and it is getting worse. Last weekend she was coughing almost non-stop. I took her to a Walk-in clinic and they gave her a cough syrup and an antibiotic. I was told to start the antibiotic four ...  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your daughter's story in detail. I also heard the quality of cough you provided in the sound clip (attachment removed to protect patient identity). From the above description, I feel that your daughter is suffering from bronchial asthma. I suggest you to see ...  Read Full »

Why does asthma flare up occur in kids inspite of treatment?

Query: Hello doctor, My 4-year-old daughter has asthma. She was diagnosed with a moderate asthma flare at urgent care four days ago. Flovent was increased to 88 mcg twice daily, Albuterol 2.5mg every four hours for 48 hours and Prednisolone 15mg/5ml one and a half tablespoon once daily for five days. S...  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your history, it is very clear that your daughter has asthma exacerbation. It can be because of an ear infection or viral infection in the airways. As you said in spite of antibiotics, oral steroids and frequent nebulization it is not under control. She needs...  Read Full »

Please interpret my PFT report.

Query: Hello doctor, I had a PFT done. When I asked about the results my doctor said they were fine. That was not good enough. I have FEV1/FVC ratio of 64 %. Increase in residual volume to 156 %. What does this mean? My echo is with EF of 50%. I am a 31 year old, non-smoker. I am a wildland firefighter. I ...  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for writing your query elaborately. From your history it is very clear that you are suffering from asthma. That is the reason for your difficulty in breathing very often. Your pulmonary function test (PFT) report (attachment removed to protect patient identit...  Read Full »

After running, I could not breathe for an hour. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am an 18 year old female. My height is 5'6" and I weigh about 120 pounds. I live in a city where we do not have much air pollution. I have no records of medical problems except a few years back I had some mild acid reflux. I believe it was reflux, since it went away after using Gaviscon...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are two important elements here that need treatment. The first one is GERD - gastroesophageal reflux disease also called as reflux disease. I would suggest starting Nexium or Prilosec or Omeprazole daily 30 minutes before breakfast. Avoid running a...  Read Full »

I am suffering from cough for the past one month. Can it be cured?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 22 year old male. My weight is 50 kg. Around 50 days ago, I had a sore throat, nose itching and cough. I noticed a tiny amount of blood with mucus (only two times). I do not know whether it has come from lung or nose or throat. Then, my doctor told me to get complete blood count t...  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for writing your query to me. Recurrent episodes of a cough especially at night, chest tightness and difficulty in breathing are symptoms of asthma. Asthma is a chronic disease affecting the airways. It is due to the allergic reactions to environmental allergens...  Read Full »

Can you suggest a good solution for asthma?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from asthma. I cannot do anything physically. I feel very tired and not able to breathe properly. Currently I am taking Deriphyllin. Please help me. I need some relief from this problem. Can you suggest a good solution for this? Thank you.  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I feel sorry for the symptoms you have. I am more than happy to assist in getting you out of this situation. Keep an eye on how to use the medications suggested to be used. Asthma is a disease that needs serial evaluation and World Health Organization recommends ad...  Read Full »

Is antibiotic a must for seasonal allergic cough?

Query: Hi doctor, For the past three years, I have been suffering from allergic cough. I have cough only during the months of September and October. It stretches for a period of 1-2 months. This time my PCP gave me a Decadron shot and within few hours my cough has got better. Should I buy the prescribed a...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. With the conversation, I understand that you are a 33 year old male suffering from cough especially during the months of September and October through the years. Therefore, it is clear that you are suffering from allergic bronchitis. It is considered to be seasonal. T...  Read Full »

Could you suggest medicine for chest congestion and nasal block?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 32 years old. I am having problems of chest congestion from the last two to three months. Prescribed Allegra was quite soothing by the doctor. I was relieved for at least a month, and the problem has been declining since then. There was nothing concerning with the x-ray report, and ...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen all your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is allergic rhinitis and allergic airway disease. That is why you have responded to Allegra (Fexofenadine). This headache also occurs due to nasal congestion. First, you need to identify ...  Read Full »