Q. Why is my son having continuous chest congestion?

This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 12, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 25, 2020

My son is 5 years old. He is dealing with continuous chest congestion and coughing with change in season. Doctor suggested Foracort 100 for two to three months with two shots in the morning and two at night after using nebulization Levolin 1.25 mg and Budecort 1 mg in the past for chest congestion. Will it affect his immunity? He eats healthy food with no junk at all, but still gets cough and congestion so frequently. Please suggest some medicine. Is it due to pollution? Or as he grow, will the things be better for him?

#

• First off all I would suggest you to carry out chest x-ray and complete blood count to rule out lung infection like bronchitis.
  • Foracort is a combination of Budesonide, a corticosteroid and anti-inflammatory and Formoterol, a long-acting bronchodilator, used to control his symptoms and improve lung function. This drug will not affect his immunity.
  • It is most probably only due to allergy that is triggering his symptoms.
  • Common allergens could be dust, pollution in metro, hairs of house pets, cold, etc. Yes, you are right, as your son will grow, his body will tolerate better.
  • The best supplements to boost your child’s immune system are vitamin D and zinc.
  • The herbs elderberry (sambucus) and astragalus are best for recurrent respiratory tract infections.
  • For allergies fish oil, vitamin C and nettles are good.

Revert back after the tests to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|