Q. Is muscle twitching, muscle weakness, shortness of breath, and fatigue due to ASL or post-COVID symptoms?

Dr. Aida Abaz Quka

I think I have ALS. For the last three weeks, I have had constant muscle twitching in my shoulders and legs, considerable muscle weakness, unable to go to the gym, shortness of breath, and harder to speak, along with fatigue. This happened right after I got covid, and I wonder if I am overthinking it or if I have a real thing on my hands. Now, I am taking Propranolol and was taking Prednisone for two days during COVID. Please help.

#

Hello.

I understand your concern and would explain that your symptoms could be related to benign fasciculation syndrome. I recommend checking thyroid hormone levels, complete blood count, blood electrolytes, vitamin D plasma levels, and vitamin B12 plasma levels for possible deficiency.

As Propranolol has helped you, it indicates that anxiety is playing an important role in all this clinical situation. In the meantime, I suggest taking:

1) Magnesium 400 mg daily.

2) Herbal supplement containing Passiflora or Valeriana to help relax.

I hope you will find this information helpful. I would be glad to assist you again whenever you need me.

Kind regards.

Thank you for the reply.

Yeah, I ordered Magnesium and my physician told me to wait 2 to 3 weeks to see if I am still having these problems for future steps. Just praying its nothing serious and it goes away soon, thanks for the information.

#

I do not think this is serious like ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis). In fact, this is a common condition after covid, and usually, patients recover completely. You should focus on your anxiety and avoid caffeine. Staying well-hydrated can help too.

I hope you will find this information helpful.

|