Als

I have been experiencing muscle twitches all over my body. Kindly help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 48-year-old male in generally good health. For the past year, I have been experiencing muscle twitches all over my body, not all at once. My right thigh may twitch for several days then stop. Then my left shoulder, or ankle, or bottom of my foot. I searched plenty about it and ...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakashkumar P.bhatt

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician, Neurologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am gone through your history. You are having unexplained twisting movements of muscles and weakness on the left upper limb. Your history does not mention any sensory symptoms or urinary bladder symptoms. Hence, I am assuming it normal. You are suffering for a year,...  Read Full »

Apart from ALS, which other conditions cause muscle twitching?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old female. For the last three days, I have noticed continuous twitches on the thenar aspect of my right palm. Today, I searched on the internet and it showed it could be ALS. I am worried. Also, I noticed that my right thenar prominence is a little less than the left. I do...  Read Full »

Dr. Rajyaguru

Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I do not think this to be ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis). ALS will have little more extensive twitches and at times they are visible on the muscle surface and a number of muscles having the flaccid type of weakness. Fasciculation only for three days without any weak...  Read Full »

Whar causes muscle twitching in the right forearm?

Query: Hello doctor,Since the past week, I have had a twitch in my forearm area. I do not know if it was because I had to lift a three-gallon bottle for a long stance, or due to my anxiety issues. There is no weakness or atrophy as could be the case with ALS. Also, the movement of the twitch is very visi...  Read Full »

Andrologist, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. Let me tell you that, it is possible to confirm the diagnosis of ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis), only after physically examining the patient. About your concerns, I would like to inform you that an isolated twitching...  Read Full »

Does ALS affect both sides of the body?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 45 years old female. I first experienced my symptom 18 years ago, which was left-hand side symptom. I have seen two neurologists since the last visit along with MRI was seven years back. My main concern back then was MS, but the last neurologist said it is not MS. I raised my ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. I can state with 100 % confidence that no ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) presents over the 18 years. It is a progressive illness and once started, there is gradual deterioration. As symptoms experienced by you are of ep...  Read Full »

Why is there numbness in foot and arm for the last six weeks?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 26-year-old male. I am feeling numbness in my left foot and left arm (especially near fingers and hand area) for the last six weeks. Firstly, I just ignored it and thought it will go away with time but now I am getting confused about it and want your opinion on this. Got your medi...  Read Full »

Dr. Ardit Tela

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your question carefully and I understand your concern. Before we say it is stress related (because it might be), initially we have to rule out other causes. I think that a face to face neurological assessment is warranted. A complete neurological exam will s...  Read Full »

My bicep muscle has been twitching. Is it due to ALS?

Query: Hello doctor, My bicep muscle has been twitching and my leg and arms muscles twitch occasionally. I am super anxious about ALS. I am 36 and postpartum six weeks but I cannot stop obsessing about ALS. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern and would explain that there are a lot of other benign causes that may lead to fasciculations like anxiety and insomnia, benign fasciculation syndrome, vitamin D and vitamin B12 deficiency, an electrolyte imbalance or thyroid gland dysfuncti...  Read Full »

Does vitamin deficiency cause twitching and tingling?

Query: Hi doctor, Before a week, I began having twitches and tingling in both legs from the knee down. For some time now, probably 6 months or more, I also began feeling that my legs were heavy and just general weakness all over, not really muscle weakness. I am also a gastric bypass patient and have a his...  Read Full »

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Vitamin B12 deficiency can cause subacute combined degeneration of the cord. So, the treatment is daily Vitamin B12 or Vitamin B complex supplementation for 12 weeks. Your vitamin D levels are also low. The treatment is Vitamin D capsules 60000 IU every Sunday for 12 ...  Read Full »

Are the cramps I am experiencing are due to ALS or MND?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 29-year-old male and in need of some reassurance over my serious health anxiety re MND (ALS). I am not normally anxious or depressed, married with a young daughter and a wife who is pregnant. It stared with an entire all day leg ache (left leg). Two days later my arm started to...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms are not typical of ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis). You should know that at your age ALS is a very exceptional diagnosis. But there are also a lot of other conditions that may mimic this clinical situation. For this reason, I would recommend perform...  Read Full »

Can anxiety cause foot drop and twitches in the body?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 26 year old female, and I developed foot drop five weeks ago, the foot was numb, and I could not dorsiflex it. But, now I can dorsiflex, and the steppage gait has disappeared unless I walk long distances. I have more power in the foot now, but it is still a lot weaker than the oth...  Read Full »

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is good that your foot drop is improving in a five weeks period. The twitches that you are feeling may be due to anxiety also. If it was ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis), the foot drop would be unlikely to improve. As it is improving, it is unlikely to be...  Read Full »

How can I rule out ALS?

Query: Hi doctor, About five weeks ago, I started feeling some weakness in my left leg. I have consulted my family doctor and a neurologist. All physical tests showed no actual weakness. There were no other clinical signs and the reflexes were also normal. There is no activity or movement that I cannot do....  Read Full »

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The various symptoms you have described are due to L5-S1 moderate broad left paracentral disc protrusion mildly distorted the anterior aspect of the thecal sac and abutting without displacing the traversing nerve roots. When a disc prolapses and compresses the spinal c...  Read Full »