Q. Is it safe to take herbs rectally for anal fissure?

Dr. Ishwar Chandra Rai
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Sep 14, 2019

My acupuncturist gave me herbs to take rectally for anal fissure which I had previously been taking orally. They are in a lower dosage (25 ml rectally they had been 180 ml orally). When taking them orally, they had to be taken before bed, which helped me to have a good sleep with quite vivid dreams. Taking my first dose rectally, I am feeling mildly stoned. Is this safe?

Dr. Ishwar Chandra Rai

#

I do not know what medications you are taking. Is it Ashwagandha per the recommendation of an acupuncturist? But I have seen your attachments (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There are several tags like structures seen, and it may cause a fissure in the anus. There are some other causes to this concern like constipated bowel, passing hard stools, and anal sphincters spasm, etc.

The treatment depends on the condition. If you have constipated bowel and passing hard stool then you can take the following medicines.

1. Avipattikar Churna 3 gm, Arshoghni Vati 1 tablet twice a day after meals.

2. Abhayaristam 15 ml twice a day with an equal amount of water after meals.

If it is due to anal sphincters spasm then it needs dilatation.

Avoid spicy, fried, and junk foods. Drink plenty of water. Do regular Kapalbhati and Pranayama like Anuloma Vilom Nadi Sodhan, and Bhramari.

What ayurveda medicine cures blood in stool?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 38 year old male. My weight is 85 kg and height is 5'11". I had the problem of blood in stool before a year and that got cured with medicine. Now again I feel very difficult to go toilet. I think it as constipation. I feel hard to pass stool. I used to wake up around 6.30 AM. After...  Read Full »

How can anal fissure be treated?

Query: Hello doctor,Six months ago, I faced anal fissure problem, which resolved through diet and medicine. One month ago due to constipation, bleeding started during the passing of stool. Now one inner hemorrhoid has protruded about 0.3 inches in size in the anal area. This creates pain for six hours afte...  Read Full »

How to get rid of piles and constipation through ayurveda?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 55 year old male. I am 5'8" tall and my weight is 69 kg. I am suffering from piles over three years but there is no bleeding. I constantly have some sensation in anus which troubles me while walking. I am noticing my right wrist and feet with swelling almost daily morning. My BP wa...  Read Full »

Ask a Naturopathy Specialist Now