Q. What treatment is recommended for splenic aneurysm?

Dr. Rahul Goel
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 02, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 17, 2020

A year ago, I was told that I have a 1.5 cm splenic aneurysm after a CT scan. This week I had an MRI with and without contrast. The report was 4.2 fusiform aneurysm dilation of splenic artery, 4.6 mm x 6.5 mm splenic saccular aneurysm and minimal mural thrombus. Calcified wall with 3.8 mm renal fusiform aneurysm. Until I see a vascular MD, I would like to know the treatment for this. Also, a summary is appreciated. I am a 69 year old female. There is a history of lupus and high blood pressure. I am currently on Lipitor, Topral and Beinicar. Thank you.

#

• Splenic artery supplies blood to the spleen and it may become dilated over a small portion leading to aneurysm formation.
  • Generally, small splenic aneurysms do not need any treatment but those of more than 2 cm should be treated.
  • The treatment options are open technique and endovascular technique.
  • In the open technique, the abdomen is opened, the splenic artery identified and the aneurysm is then operated upon. This technique involves a major surgery and is less preferred.
  • In endovascular technique, a catheter is placed in the artery of the arm or leg. Under x-ray guidance (fluoroscopy), it is pushed into the splenic artery and a metallic coil is placed in the aneurysm. This is a safer and more preferred technique.

For further information consult a general surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-surgeon

Based on the numbers from my MRI, what treatment is recommended? Do you have any comments about the renal aneurysm?

#

• The endovascular technique should be appropriate in your case.
  • The renal aneurysm can be tackled in the same sitting endovascularly.

|