Common "Aneurysm" queries answered by top doctors | iCliniq


Enlargement of an artery is called an aneurysm. It does not cause any symptoms until it ruptures, which can also be fatal. The risk factors for aneurysms are smoking and hypertension. Aneurysm of the arteries in the heart and the brain are the most common.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

Is it safe to take Viagra is you have an aneurysm?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 54 year old male with complex medical histories, including a current splenic artery aneurysm, an occluded right vertebral artery, historical major spinal cord trauma from intradural schwannomas (removed twice) and multiple liver hemangiomas. I have had occasional erectile dysfunct...  Read Full »

Dr. Nidhi Jain

Answer: Hi, Welcome to According to me, it is better to avoid Viagra as it is a vasodilator. But, the final decision should take after consulting your cardiologist. First, rule out the psychogenic causes of erectile dysfunction. Because, there is no need to take Viagra (Sildenafil), if ...  Read Full »

Which will show brain aneurysm clearly, MR angio or CT angio?

Query: Hi doctor, Three months ago, I had an magnetic resonance angiography (MRA) of the brain as I have weird headaches that time. The result showed a little thing, which they thought could be a small aneurysm between 1 mm and 2 mm. But, they were not sure whether it is an aneurysm or anything on the arte...  Read Full »

Dr. Hardik Nareshbhai Rajyaguru

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Computed tomography (CT) angiography has sensitivities of 77% to 97% and specificities of 87% to 100% for picking up an aneurysm. Magnetic resonance (MR) angio sensitivity and specificities are way less than CT angio. So, when CT angio is negative for an aneurysm, it is ...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for PAN and multiple aneurysms?

Query: Hello doctor,My 21-year-old daughter suffered from severe abdominal pain and vomiting one month back. I consulted a local physician for treatment. He gave some antibiotics, but no relief. I consulted a gastrologist too. He prescribed some medicines, but no relief. He advised me to do the abdominal s...  Read Full »

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have gone through your query. The diagnosis of Polyarteritis nodosa looks quite certain. Microaneurysms, high blood pressure, and high CRP are favoring it as well. I understood that she had been started on steroids and Azoran (Azathioprine). My personal recommendat...  Read Full »

I have neurological symptoms after an aneurysm clipping. Why?

Query: Hi doctor,Last year, I underwent an aneurysm clipping procedure in the M1M2 region, and although the temple remains swollen, an ultrasound scan indicates the presence of minor gliosis in the frontal lobes. Despite ongoing concerns about seroma in the temple, an ultrasound scan has not been conducte...  Read Full »

Dr. Vandana Andrews

Answer: Hi, I am glad you chose icliniq for your medical-related queries. I understand your concern and will try to help you with it. Regarding the aneurysm clipping, it is normal for the area around the clipping site to stay swollen for a few months post-procedure. This swelling is part of the healing pr...  Read Full »

Can stress cause dilated vasculature?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been diagnosed with dilated vasculature including the abdominal aorta, inferior vena cava and iliac veins (described as aneurysmal in size, 34 mm on right, 21 mm on left). What could cause this? Could stress cause that?  Read Full »

Dr. Amiya Kumar Chattopadhyay

Answer: Hi, I am glad you chose icliniq for your medical-related queries. I understand your concern. An aortic aneurysm may result from trauma, infection or most commonly from an intrinsic abnormality of elastin and collagen component of the aortic wall. Genetic abnormalities like Marfan syndrome, Ehlers...  Read Full »

My mom had brain hemorrhage surgery two weeks ago and did not respond since then. What does it mean?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother had a brain hemorrhage caused by an aneurysm. She had surgery a month ago and is in the hospital and was in a coma. Then after two days, she started to move her arms and legs and tried to move her arm to move the tubes. I felt she could look me in the eyes, and the day after,...  Read Full »

Dr. Arpit Varshney

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have read your concern and will surely help you out. See, there can be innumerable reasons for not regaining consciousness. Post-surgery it is very commonly observed. However, patients generally get conscious after two weeks post-surgery, which has not been the case....  Read Full »

I am having headache and pain aafter an aneurysm surgery. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I had a shunt put in four years ago but over the weekend I started to have pain on the left side of the head and the back. My question is, should I be concerned?  Read Full »

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq. I am glad you chose icliniq for your medical-related queries. I understand your concern and will try to help you with it. I would like to know further details about your problem: 1. Since when did you start to have headaches? 2. Is it for 1 week only or before also? 3. You ...  Read Full »

Can grade 5 Spetzler Martin AVM progress to inoperable grade 6?

Query: Hello doctor, My spouse was diagnosed with a cerebral aneurysm six years back. He got imaging done after two years, where they diagnosed a grade 3 Spetzler Martin (AVM (Arteriovenous malformation) in a left middle cerebral artery, eloquent with deep drainage). He has right-sided hemiparesis as a res...  Read Full »

Dr. Solanki Chirag Natwarbhai

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I read your query and can understand your concern. I have reviewed the reports (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity). Yes, it is a high-grade AVM (arteriovenous malformation) and is diffuse. I would suggest Gamma Knife radiosurgery (fractionated) for y...  Read Full »

Is headache a symptom of venous aneurysm?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a 8 x 12 mm sac type aneurysm on the vein of Galen. I am 50 years old and otherwise in a good health. I have had bad headaches and nausea for about seven months. It led MRV (Magnetic Resonance Venography) and that found the aneurysm. I know the risks of an arterial aneurysm rupturi...  Read Full »

Dr. J. Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Answer: Hi, Welcome to This is a very rare anomaly. Dilatation of entire vein is more common. Theoretically, there is a risk of rupture. But, in practice the most common complications are hydrocephalus and cardiac problems. You have not indicated whether the scan revealed hydrocephalus or not. ...  Read Full »

What causes sharp headaches and abrupt vision shifts?

Query: Hi doctor, For a week or two, while walking around, I have had the feeling that I was lightheaded or unsteady on my feet. It was not like the room shifting. Today, I have had a sharp headache above one eye. While sitting at my desk, my field of vision shifted abruptly. What does that sound like? I h...  Read Full »

Dr. Srivastava, Sumit

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Your symptoms could be due to ocular migraine, brain lesion, vasculitis, hypertension and stress. I would suggest you to consult a neurologist and have yourself examined. You need to carry out MRI brain to exclude any brain lesion as the cause for your symptoms. Also, ha...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.