Q. I have chills, vomiting, and anxiety after stopping Gabapentin. Please help.

Dr. Aditya Gupta

I have been taking Celexa 10 mg for two years. Recently, I was prescribed Gabapentin 100 mg twice daily, which I took for about a month, but started having stomach issues. So, I titrated it down to 100 mg a day for a week by myself and then stopped it. It has been almost three weeks and now all of a sudden I have withdrawal symptoms. I have chills, vomiting, insomnia, severe anxiety, and sweating. It seems to get worse after taking Celexa at night. Any help would be appreciated.

Dr. Aditya Gupta

Psychiatry Sexology
#

• Withdrawal symptoms seem to be unlikely after three weeks of stopping Gabapentin.
  • Check if you have a fever. If not I would suggest you try taking PPI (proton pump inhibitor) for vomiting and Benzodiazepines for anxiety and insomnia. Skip Celexa for a couple of days. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start the medication after their consent.
  • Also, a physical examination should be done by your general physician.

For more information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

| 

Thank you for replying. I am visiting my doctor today. I am going to ask for a psychiatrist referral and will ask them to switch me to Zoloft. I had been on Zoloft in the past and did fine. Can you please recommend how to switch?

Dr. Aditya Gupta

Psychiatry Sexology
#

• There are two ways to switch from Celexa to Zoloft (Sertraline). Consult your psychiatrist before changing the medicine.
  1. Decrease Celexa to 5 mg and then stop it after a week. After stopping Celexa start Zoloft 25 mg per day.
  2. Stop Celexa all of a sudden and start Zoloft 25 mg per day.
  • I would though recommend the second way as both are SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) and therefore, there are fewer chances of discontinuation syndrome. You can then slowly up-titrate Zoloft.

For further queries consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|