iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersNephrologyarteriovenous graft creation for hemodialysisDoes my husband need an AV fistula for kidney dialysis?

When should someone get an AV fistula for hemodialysis?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At May 22, 2024
Reviewed AtMay 22, 2024

Patient's Query

My husband has been diabetic for the past many years and has been on insulin from the first day. Now he has been diagnosed with chronic kidney disease. He is hospitalized. His creatinine and blood sugar levels are also high. Dialysis was done four times last week. The doctor is asking him to go for an AV fistula on the left arm. But he is not willing. Does he need an AV fistula in his arms? I need a second opinion about this.

Kindly answer.

Answered by Dr. Karthic Kumar

Your husband is suffering from chronic kidney disease, secondary to diabetic nephropathy (due to long-standing diabetes mellitus). Since his blood sugar levels were not under control all these years, they have damaged the kidneys and it is irreversible.

I suggest you two options.

1) Continue dialysis lifelong - The best vascular access for long-term dialysis are

1) Av fistula.

2) Permanent tunneled catheters either in the neck or leg.

2) Renal transplantation - This surgery requires a voluntary renal donor from the family who must be above 18 years and less than 65 years of age. If a proper donor is identified, it will take a minimum of three months for all workups. Undergoing renal transplantation will make him live his old life for at least another 15 to 20 years, but he has to stay on medications lifelong.

I suggest you continue his hemodialysis. Also, strictly monitor his blood sugars and modify dosage to bring them down.

Hope it helps.

Thanks and regards.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Karthic Kumar
Dr. Karthic Kumar

Nephrology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Nephrology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy