Chronic Kidney Disease

Can Toradol alter creatinine levels?

Query: Hello doctor, If a person with chronic kidney disease with a creatinine of 1.9 and a GFR of 40 receives Toradol 60 mg IM as a single dose, can that lead to acute renal failure? How soon would failure occur after the administration of the medication?  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Toradol contains Ketorolac. It is known to cause worsening of kidney functions. But usually what is seen is that, it is the administration for a longer duration which causes the increased probability of renal failure and not a single dose. A famous study reveals that keto...  Read Full »

There is no urine output in a diabetic patient. Please advise.

Query: Hello doctor, My father-in-law is aged 77 years. He has diabetes and blood pressure. His creatinine level is between 3.6 and 3.8. Has high levels of albumin in the urine and high levels of urea (129). He is admitted to the hospital following less to nil urine output. They have placed a catheter and...  Read Full »

Dr. Tarek Algamal

Nephrologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, unfortunately this is chronic kidney disease stage 4 to 5. May be the late stages of CKD is rapidly progressive especially in diabetics. If urine output has not been improved after treating the infection and achieving good water balance, I am afraid he might need ...  Read Full »

I am a kidney stone former for the last 10 years. Based on my test results, do you think my kidneys are damaged?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 43-year-old male. And I work out six days a week. I am in excellent shape. I consistently get my blood work done every four months. I am a kidney stone former and had kidney stones on and off for the last 10 years. I have a few kidney stones on my right side. I had blood drawn ...  Read Full »

Dr. Pankaj Jawandhiya

Nephrologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Seeing your current report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) there is mild damage to your kidney, and creatinine before four months was also elevated, then it is a slight degree of permanent damage. So the cause of the damage is long-standing bilateral...  Read Full »

If I had stage 3 CKD, would the urine levels be indicative of disease?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 62-year-old very fit male. I lift weights three times a week and use the stair master for 30 minutes five times a week vigorously. I have had this same routine for the past 20 years. I am 5'7" and weigh 160 pounds. My serum creatinine was 1.33 16 years back, and for the past 16...  Read Full »

Dr. Pankaj Jawandhiya

Nephrologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), see basically beyond 40 years of age, there is 1ml/min/1.73 m2 decline in eGFR per year, and that is a normal physiological response because of an increase in age, same as skin wrinkles, si...  Read Full »

Please suggest medicine to lower creatinine level.

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is suffering from chronic kidney disease. At present her creatinine level is 4.8. Her creatinine levels in the last two years have been increasing in order such as 2, 2.2, 2.7, 3.8 and 4.8 respectively. Her urea level is 114. Is there any treatment for reducing creatinine level...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. By seeing her reports (attachments removed to protect patient identity), I understand the pattern of rise in creatinine and her condition of chronic kidney disease (CKD). As such there are no medicines to cure creatinine. You just have to make sure that she maintains h...  Read Full »

Will Removal Of Kidney Stone Improve Gfr?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 26 year old female. I have had a kidney stone in my right kidney for around eight months and now it is relatively large 22 mm. I have attached my report for your reference. I am suffering from recurrent kidney infections in the past couple years and had a stone in my left kidney wh...  Read Full »

Dr. Krishna Somani

Nephrologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I saw all your reports and your clinical details (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your tendency for recurrent stone formation which needs to be evaluated. You need not to worry about eGFR (estimated glomerular filtration rate) currently as creatinin...  Read Full »

My mom's health has deteriorated completely in a year. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is 56 years old. She has been a diabetic for the last 20 years. Her health has deteriorated completely in the last year. We found out through a biopsy that her kidney has been damaged. Her gallbladder was removed as it was infected and had a stone as big as a marble. The mouth a...  Read Full »

Dr. Abhinav Gupta

Diabetologist, Nephrologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. She is having hypoalbuminemia (low level of albumin in the blood). Also, her serum potassium is high. We have to treat serum potassium first with diuretics and Insulin infusion. If the serum potassium does not come below 5.5, then she can go for dialysis. I would like to...  Read Full »

How long can a double J ureteral stent be left inside?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a chronic kidney disease patient, and there are multiple stones in my right kidney. My doctor placed a double J stent almost six months ago. I have not removed my stent, is it risky? How long can I let the stent inside? Due to some problem, I am not able to go for the checkup.  Read Full »

Dr. Raja Ramesh

Andrologist, Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The stent has probably been placed for draining the kidneys. Depending on the stent material, indwelling time will vary. It ranges from three months for polyurethane stent to a year for silicon stent. Neglecting stent can lead to lots of problems. Stones can form a recur...  Read Full »

What diet can a chronic kidney disease patient follow?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 67-year-old male with a weight 65 kg and height of 171 cm. I have been suffering from chronic kidney disease and post PTCA care for 17 years. I was diagnosed 15 months back with serum creatinine to be around 5 and am on medications for 15 months. I am a non-diabetic. In the la...  Read Full »

Dr. Krishna Somani

Nephrologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the attachments (attachment removed to protect patient identity) Your reports are fine. Albumin is good that shows that your nutritional status is fine. Potassium is low that accounts for generalized weakness. So now decrease your food restricti...  Read Full »

Which BP medicine is good for someone who had a kidney transplant?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a kidney transplant 17 years ago. My local doctor is on a trip overseas. So, I need some help. My only problem now is an increase in the BP. It shows 170/110 and the creatinine level is 1.7. This is the second time, I am getting such levels. Three years ago, I got the same. But...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Serum creatinine levels can be reduced only with the aim of keeping blood pressure as low as 120/80 mmHg. I would recommend you get your complete blood count, and urine culture done. You can start with Amlodipine 5 mg once daily and can increase it to twi...  Read Full »