Chronic Kidney Disease

Can chronic kidney disease cause swelling in feet and tongue?

Query: Hello doctor, I have swelling on my feet and tongue as well. KFT report was normal only my creatinin was 1.6. It is a chronic problem. I have already used Lasilactone 50 mg and Torsemide 10 mg. But no relief. I use insulin Mixtard 40 units twice and Galvus Met 50/850 1 bd for my diabetes type 2. M...  Read Full »

Dr. Zubayeralam

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Pulmonologist, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. According to your statement, you are suffering from chronic kidney disease. Now you have swelling on feet, ankles, and tongues. You have DM (diabetes mellitus) for 20 years. Do you suffer from an allergy? Or are you allergic to some foods, medications, irritants, et...  Read Full »

How to treat chronic kidney disease along with UTI?

Query: Hello doctor, I have chronic kidney disease and wanted to know about the treatment. Before they consulted doctors for nearly six months for prostate that is urine infection they were told it is urine infection and were under medication and taking painkillers. More but recently, they come across t...  Read Full »

Dr. Manzoor Ahmad Parry

Nephrologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Have you done any KFT (kidney function test) before? From the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and diagnosis, it seems you have underlying kidney disease which got aggravated by urinary tract infection. You have received appropriate antibioti...  Read Full »

My blood pressure level is 140/90 mmHg. Should I take BP medication?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 32-year-old male. One month back I checked my BP, it was 120/90 mmHg and today again I checked, it was 140/90 mmHg. Both were done in doctor's clinic. I did blood hemogram and cholesterol tests everything is normal. Two yrs back I did USG of full abdomen it was normal. In my fa...  Read Full »

Dr. Sushma Shah

HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Blood pressure is different at the same time by different machine or the instrument used previously. Now regarding the value of blood pressure, it is not mandatory that the value is fixed. It is different for different people of the same age. But it depends on weight, ...  Read Full »

I am a diabetic and hypertensive. What medication should I take to lower the level of creatinine?

Query: Hi doctor, I have hypertension and diabetes for 25 years. I am taking 250 units of Insulin for six years. GFR 20 creatinine is 3.11. Should I take Cremaffin to reduce the creatinine? I am taking Aten 100, Telmisartan 80, Benina 8mg. I had edema in legs and started Lasix 120 mg and Zyloric 500 mg. M...  Read Full »

Dr. Shahil Khant

Andrologist, General Surgeon, Urologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the reports sent by you. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your creatinine is 3.1 which is not very high. Also, your other blood reports are fairly fine. But your HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin) is high. It should be below 7. Your diabetes i...  Read Full »

What is the chance of preeclampsia causing CKD in future?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 24-year-old female. I had preeclampsia with both pregnancies as well as kidney infections during pregnancy. I have a history of UTI's as well. My creatinine was up to 1.67 in all of my kidney infections. Few months back, I had a partial hysterectomy in which my left ureter was ...  Read Full »

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. In preeclampsia or eclampsia, patients may present with albuminuria. This may lead to progress to chronic kidney disease. Your urine examination report also showing plenty of RBC (red blood corpuscles). But not mentioned what is RBC morphology in microscopy? In case ...  Read Full »

My father with CKD and hypertension suffer from severe cough with secretion. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, My father is 61 years old known case of CKD with hypertension. He has been on dialysis for a couple of weeks, sum total of ten dialysis have been done out of which one dialysis was done using an online hemodiafiltration technique. His creatinine has subsequently reduced from 8.6 to 6....  Read Full »

Dr. Vandana Andrews

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There could be a few causes for the wet cough with phlegm. Despite taking antibiotics for pneumonia, the opacity in the lung takes a few weeks to completely disappear. The cough in such a case can last for a month. If the patient has no fever I will not worry. CHF (co...  Read Full »

Can Toradol alter creatinine levels?

Query: Hello doctor, If a person with chronic kidney disease with a creatinine of 1.9 and a GFR of 40 receives Toradol 60 mg IM as a single dose, can that lead to acute renal failure? How soon would failure occur after the administration of the medication?  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Toradol contains Ketorolac. It is known to cause worsening of kidney functions. But usually what is seen is that, it is the administration for a longer duration which causes the increased probability of renal failure and not a single dose. A famous study reveals that keto...  Read Full »

There is no urine output in a diabetic patient. Please advise.

Query: Hello doctor, My father-in-law is aged 77 years. He has diabetes and blood pressure. His creatinine level is between 3.6 and 3.8. Has high levels of albumin in the urine and high levels of urea (129). He is admitted to the hospital following less to nil urine output. They have placed a catheter and...  Read Full »

Dr. Tarek Algamal

Nephrologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, unfortunately this is chronic kidney disease stage 4 to 5. May be the late stages of CKD is rapidly progressive especially in diabetics. If urine output has not been improved after treating the infection and achieving good water balance, I am afraid he might need ...  Read Full »

I am a kidney stone former for the last 10 years. Based on my test results, do you think my kidneys are damaged?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 43-year-old male. And I work out six days a week. I am in excellent shape. I consistently get my blood work done every four months. I am a kidney stone former and had kidney stones on and off for the last 10 years. I have a few kidney stones on my right side. I had blood drawn ...  Read Full »

Dr. Pankaj Jawandhiya

Nephrologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Seeing your current report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) there is mild damage to your kidney, and creatinine before four months was also elevated, then it is a slight degree of permanent damage. So the cause of the damage is long-standing bilateral...  Read Full »

If I had stage 3 CKD, would the urine levels be indicative of disease?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 62-year-old very fit male. I lift weights three times a week and use the stair master for 30 minutes five times a week vigorously. I have had this same routine for the past 20 years. I am 5'7" and weigh 160 pounds. My serum creatinine was 1.33 16 years back, and for the past 16...  Read Full »

Dr. Pankaj Jawandhiya

Nephrologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), see basically beyond 40 years of age, there is 1ml/min/1.73 m2 decline in eGFR per year, and that is a normal physiological response because of an increase in age, same as skin wrinkles, si...  Read Full »