Q. Can I take Ashwagandha along with other medicines for OCD?

Dr. Ishwar Chandra Rai
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

Is Ashwagandha a general medicine? Is it fine taking it for OCD along with other drugs like Nootropil 800 and Serta 50?

Do you have a question on Ashwagandha or Ocd?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Ishwar Chandra Rai

B.SC. ., B.A.M.S.., M.D.(AYURVEDA)., C.C.Y.P

Ashwagandha is a well known Ayurvedic herb. Mostly used as a general tonic to rejuvenate the body. It helps to reduce stress and anxiety by regulating the nervous system. Ashwagandha is serving as a medicine in several forms like powder, tablet, capsules, syrup, paste, etc. It has several benefits. It improves body immunity, reduces mental stress, provides healthy sleep, improve vital activities and several others.

Yes, you can take Ashwagandha as general medicine. But dose and duration of medications should be according to your body condition.
And yes it is fine to take this medicine in
OCD (obsessive-compulsive disorder) along with other medications.

Also Read Answers From: Ashwagandha Ocd Sertraline Nootropic Drug

How can I quit Zoloft without getting withdrawal symptoms?
Query: Hi doctor, I am using 75 mg Zoloft for the past seven months for anxiety disorder. I have started with 25 mg and my doctor increased the dosage slowly for my panic attacks. But for the past two months, I do not have any strong panic attacks and when I have the small ones, I am capable of handling i...  Read Full »
Dr. Suresh Kumar G D
Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician, Psychiatrist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Zoloft (Sertraline) is a good medication for anxiety disorder. You are on a low moderate dose of 75 mg once daily (dose range is 50 mg to 200 mg once daily). It is good that you are feeling better for the past two months. It is recommended to continue Sertraline for ...  Read Full »

Will taking Ashwagandha for perimenopause symptoms cause any side-effects?
Query: Hello doctor, I am thinking of using Ashwagandha supplements (400 mg) to help with my perimenopause symptoms. I would like to have an extensive list of side effects if there are any. I have no known illnesses and take no medications apart from Omega 3 twice a day.  Read Full »
Dr. Ishwar Chandra Rai

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Ashwagandha is a very potent ayurvedic medicine. It has very good effect in neurological issues. It helps to improve your immunity and metabolism. It is very helpful in perimenopause symptoms. You can take 3 gm Ashwagandha powder or 500 mg Ashwagandha tablet twice a day...  Read Full »

Can I use Ashwagandha or Shilajit for fatigue caused by masturbation?
Query: Hi doctor, Earlier in my life I had the problem of over-masturbation. This was related to my mental depression as well. However, I have recovered from the habit of over-masturbation. But, still I masturbate once in four days. This causes fatigue, back pain and leg pain. Can I use supplements such as...  Read Full »
Dr. Niveditha Srinivasamurthy

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, you can certainly go for ayurveda supplements. Masturbating once in four days is not abnormal. You are probably low on essential vitamins and that is causing the body pain. I would not recommend Shilajit. It is to be taken under strict medical supervision only. Go fo...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now