Q. Is there a way to quit Zoloft without getting withdrawal symptoms?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

I am using 75 mg Zoloft for the past seven months for anxiety disorder. I have started with 25 mg and my doctor increased the dosage slowly for my panic attacks. But for the past two months, I do not have any strong panic attacks and when I have the small ones, I am capable of handling it. I want to stop to taking medication. Could you please advise me how to do it in order to avoid withdrawal syndromes of Zoloft. How should I quit? How much I should reduce the dosage and how long should I continue?

#

Zoloft (Sertraline) is a good medication for anxiety disorder. You are on a low moderate dose of 75 mg once daily (dose range is 50 mg to 200 mg once daily). It is good that you are feeling better for the past two months. It is recommended to continue Sertraline for at least six months after you are feeling better. So it is advisable to continue for at least another four months. During this period also develop psychological strategies to manage anxiety (talking therapy or CBT will help you to achieve this).

If stable after four months, discuss with your prescribing doctor about gradually tapering down the dosage gradually. You can try cutting down to 50 mg once daily and see whether you continue to be stable. After a month, you can consider cutting down further to 25 mg once daily. Continue for another month then stop completely. Remember, if symptoms reappear at any time during tapering down, you have to go back on the higher dose. To sum up, continue Zoloft at least for another four months. Get CBT if not done already. Then if stable after four months, taper down gradually under medical supervision.

|