Athletic Heart

Why is deep bradycardia a disease for some and a sign of fitness for others?

Query: Hello doctor, Why deep bradycardia (35 BPM) is a disease for some people and for other people is a sign of fitness and health? What makes the difference in the deep bradycardia (35 BPM) between disease and fitness?  Read Full »

Dr. Salam Salloum

Answer: Hi, Welcome back to icliniq.com. You raised a very good point. Cardiologist usually looks at the ECG and patient's symptoms. If the ECG does not show any features of conduction abnormalities and the patient is fit, healthy and has no symptoms, then it is reassuring especially if they are athletes....  Read Full »

Can bradycardia be related to sports activity?

Query: Hello doctor, I am male, 35 years old and weight 70 kilos, height 173 cm. Every year I do a medical checkup. In a recent medical check-up, there was a note related to heart rate (bradycardia), the result was 49 bpm. I also have checked manually and also using pulse meter, the result around 51 to 55...  Read Full »

Dr. Salam Salloum

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is quite common and normal for regular athletes to have sinus bradycardia, I saw some with heart rate down to 40 to 45 bpm daytime. At night usually, the HR is slower and it can get down to 35 bpm. As long as you remain asymptomatic that is no lightheadedness and no ...  Read Full »

ECG shows RBBB and marked left ventricular hypertrophy. What does it mean?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 12 years old, very active, plays representative basketball and attends a sports high school. Last Sunday, he was knocked over while playing and hurt his arm. After getting up, he fainted. He was fine after that. There were no broken bones, but the medical center did an ECG, and...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The ECG (electrocardiogram) is showing incomplete RBBB (right bundle branch block) or early RBBB and features of left ventricular hypertrophy, and also heart rate is on lower side nearing 60 beats per minute. But as you mentioned, he is a basketball player. So, athle...  Read Full »