Q. No more painful bouts of AFib. Can this be due to the stopping of Bisoprolol?

Answered by Dr. Rishu and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Atrial Fibrillation or Holter Monitor? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am a 65-year-old male who has until recently been playing tennis regularly. I have been on beta blockers for about 15 years, first on 50 mg Atenolol and then on 10 mg Bisoprolol. They lowered my pulse rate to about 60 but then about three years ago I started to get AFib. The episodes of AFib became more frequent and painful so that I needed to use a GTN spray to reduce the pain. It got so that I could not lie down and had to sleep propped up against pillows. The painful episodes would last about three hours and they occurred every couple of days.

I gradually reduced the Bisoprolol and stopped them completely after a few weeks. I am currently on Aspirin too. Now my pulse is erratic but I can sleep lying down fine and I am not experiencing the painful bouts of AFib anymore. Should I be looking at taking some other medication or am I just experiencing withdrawal symptoms which will eventually pass? Please provide your opinion.