Electrical Cardioversion

No more painful bouts of AFib. Can this be due to the stopping of Bisoprolol?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 65-year-old male who has until recently been playing tennis regularly. I have been on beta blockers for about 15 years, first on 50 mg Atenolol and then on 10 mg Bisoprolol. They lowered my pulse rate to about 60 but then about three years ago I started to get AFib...  Read Full »

Dr. Rishu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Atrial fibrillation (also called AFib or AF) is a quivering or irregular heartbeat (arrhythmia) that can lead to blood clots, stroke, heart failure and other heart-related complications. Normally, your heart contracts and relaxes to a regular beat. In atrial fibrill...  Read Full »

Can alcohol induce AF?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 23 years old. I had alcohol induced AF after consuming vodka. I consumed roughly the same amount two nights before. AF seemed to start after vomiting. I was cardioverted after 12 hours. I was informed by the doctor that this was alcohol induced. He advised me to avoid alcohol for a m...  Read Full »

Dr. Amiya Kumar Chattopadhyay

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You were told by the attending cardiologist who did cardioversion, a life-saving measure, to avoid alcohol as it precipitates another AF (atrial fibrillation) especially after vomiting. Please say no to alcohol as AF can recur again and not safe for you. It is unlikely to...  Read Full »

Should I have ablation for atrial flutter?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been diagnosed with atrial flutter. I have been in this condition three times in the last two years.¬†This is flutter and not fibrillation. Two years ago, I was stuck in atrial flutter, for three weeks. After being on an anticoagulant for three weeks, I went through a successful e...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for the detailed query and I have reviewed every aspect of it to come to a point of decision that may be better for you in the long run. The probability of getting unsure and unplanned episodes of atrial flutter seems to be high enough to warrant a procedural ablat...  Read Full »