Q. Kindly explain my wife's health problem with the help of echo report.

Dr. Vivek Pillai
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 04, 2017 and last reviewed on: Apr 07, 2021

I am 23 years old, I am a married female and has one kid. My symptoms are shortness of breath (since a year), severe chest pain a month ago, numbness in the left arm since one month and fatigue with little exertion. There is no previous history of the same issue. Kindly explain the attached echo report.

#

• There is an atrial septal defect (attachment removed to protect patient identity), which needs closure as it is causing symptoms of breathlessness and fatigue.
  • According to the echocardiogram, there is also right heart enlargement.
  • As advised in the echo report, she should undergo a TEE (transesophageal echocardiogram) to decide whether this defect can be closed by a cardiologist or a cardiothoracic surgeon.

Congenital.

TEE.

ASD with left to right shunt, hemodynamically significant.

TEE followed by either percutaneous or surgical closure.

Revert with the report to a cardiologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

"Thank you for the answer. I need to know what is the approximate cost of both procedures, percutaneous and surgical closure?"
# dear sir.at the centre where i work percutaneous asd closure comes to about 70000 rs.surgical closure is around 1 lakh rs.in a priivate set up both these options would be around a lakh rs.

|