Azelastine

What causes chronic cold, cough, and catarrh?

Query: Hi doctor,My mother is suffering from severe cold, cough, and catarrh for years. She consulted several doctors but the root cause of her illness is not identified. The doctors are not able to identify the cause. Having a little exposure to the breeze makes her feel very cold. It makes her sneeze pro...  Read Full »

Dr. Balamurugan

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Your mother is suffering from vasomotor rhinitis. It occurs due to dysregulation of sympathetic (controls vascular tone) parasympathetic (mucus secretion) and pain-sensitive nerves (controls itching or sneezing reflexes) that innervate the...  Read Full »

Why do I get runny nose when I sleep in cold temperature?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 22 years old. I get runny nose almost every time I sleep in a fan on or in an AC room. If you say it is due to change of temperature but it is very often even with a very slight change in temperature I get a runny nose which lasts a day or even the next day. Can you please help ...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The most probable reason over here could be what we call as vasomotor rhinitis. The cascade of events is explained in a very simple manner below even though it is not as simple as it looks. Exposure to dust (or any irritative substance like cold air that your body i...  Read Full »

I am having recurrent infections with negative allergy test. Please guide me.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 20 year old female. I am not on any medication. I take probiotic, multivitamin, vitamin D, Cal-mag and omega supplements daily. I seem to have recurrent infections. In the last three years, I have had two strands of mononucleosis, pneumonia twice, ongoing sinus infections, recur...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Firstly, do not worry, your condition is not suggestive of those cancers. Regarding your ongoing sinusitis, it is an allergic sinusitis in all probabilities. An allergy test will not pick up all the allergies. So, it is not reliable in ruling out different allergies. ...  Read Full »

What can be done for congested and dry nose due to thick mucus?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been experiencing nasal discomfort for a lot of days. My problem is two fold. I sometimes have a congested nose due to thick mucus and sometimes my nose goes dry when I am in an area with air conditioner and then feels like something is stuck in my nose. When I try to breathe hard ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is likely an allergic rhinitis. Dryness is likely due to air conditioning. You should identify the trigger other than air conditioner like exposure to dust, vehicle pollutants or maybe some other trigger, and try to eliminate the exposure. It is advisable that y...  Read Full »