Q. My mother has been suffering from severe cold, cough, and catarrh for years now. Please help.

Dr. Balamurugan
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 05, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 08, 2021

My mother is suffering from severe cold, cough, and catarrh for years. She consulted several doctors but the root cause of her illness is not identified. The doctors are not able to identify the cause. Having a little exposure to the breeze makes her feel very cold. It makes her sneeze profusely. She does not take cold water. She does not walk on the tiled floor using barefoot. If she does it, she starts to have a severe cold for days and weeks.

#

I understand your concern. Your mother is suffering from vasomotor rhinitis. It occurs due to dysregulation of sympathetic (controls vascular tone) parasympathetic (mucus secretion) and pain-sensitive nerves (controls itching or sneezing reflexes) that innervate the nasal mucosa. It results in increased vascular permeability and mucus secretion. The environmental triggers are strong odor, cold air exposure, alcohol ingestion, and spicy foods. It is treated by avoiding triggers. Taking topical nasal corticosteroids, topical anticholinergics and topical antihistamine help a lot. Taking a combination of intranasal steroids and topical antihistamines can provide better symptomatic relief.

|