Q. A foul smell comes out of my nose. What could it be?

Dr. Alok Rathi
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 18, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 08, 2018

I have a serious oral problem for 9 years or so. I am now 19. I have had this metallic taste in my mouth and white tongue, no matter how much I scrap and scrub. Some foul smell comes out of my throat. My mouth can be close yet this smell still seems to get out most likely through my nose. People close to me and people I trust say it is a fecal smell. I have been to the dentist and he told me that my teeth were fine. Brought tongue scrapers to no avail. Switched off the alcohol mouth wash. At a time in my life, I was brushing my teeth 6 or more times a day. To this day, I still brush my teeth four times a day spending at least 15 minutes in cleaning my mouth. My mouth never feels fresh. I have spent countless money on dental products yet nothing has changed and the problem seems to get worse with age. I am all out of options. I need some advice on what to do and some sort of diagnosis or at least a point in the right direction.

#

Foul smell is formed by bacteria. So, it is seen in conditions where they are residing for a long time. Normally our nose and throat have commensals and they get washed away by our normal secretions of the nose and throat. Bad smell in nose is seen in conditions like, atrophic rhinitis and pharyngeal web or diverticulum.

Atrophic rhinitis, in which it smells bad. After some time, the patient does not get bad smell and only the people around get it. It is a nasal disease and can be diagnosed by examining nose. Pharyngeal web or diverticulum is a condition in which a small pouch is formed from pharynx, away from normal tract. So, whatever you eat, a part of it does not go to the stomach below and escapes into the pouch. It stays there for some time and automatically comes back in pharynx and goes stomach. In this condition, due to retention of food bad smell is produced.

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

| 

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»