Biliary Sludge

My reports showed thick-walled, sludge-filled gallbladder. Kindly advise.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 19-year-old girl, weighing 151 pounds. I had gallbladder disease. I got to know three months back. The reports showed a thick-walled, non-functioning and sludge-filled gallbladder. The size of the gallbladder is 5.1×2.2 mm. I got my tests done again last month and it says that the...  Read Full »

Dr. Chandra Prakash Tanwar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You had sludge in the gallbladder and now it is not seen. In gallbladder disease, symptoms are more important. So, if you do not have any symptoms then there is nothing to worry. But if you have symptoms, then I would like to repeat ultrasound after few months. Sludg...  Read Full »

Can my gallbladder stones be dissolved without surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, Few soft echogenic calculi with sludge are seen in my gallbladder lumen, one of which measures approximately 14.1 mm. What should I do to dissolve them without surgery?  Read Full »

Dr. Smit Uttam Janrao

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sorry to say, but dissolving calculi of this size is impossible. Gallstones get dissolved spontaneously if the size is less than 5 mm. You should consult a surgical gastroenterologist. Till then, I suggest you try the following: Tablet Udiliv (Ursodeoxycholic acid) 30...  Read Full »

What could be the root cause for bloated stomach after having food?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 37 year old male. I am feeling bloated stomach and giddiness immediately after eating. The feel is more especially after lunch. What could be the root cause? Please explain. Thank you.  Read Full »

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are reporting to have bloating after eating, especially lunch. These symptoms may be related to stomach issues like gastritis or gall bladder issues like biliary sludge (bile precipitation) or dyskinesia (gall bladder muscle motility disorder). In my opinion you sho...  Read Full »

My pregnant wife was recommended a gall bladder removal surgery. When can it be done?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 13 weeks pregnant. Though she takes Doxinate tablet once a day, she still has vomiting. Also, she often gets a stomach pain which eases in five minutes. We have discussed with the gynecologist about these issues and he had suggested a full abdominal ultrasound. In the ultra...  Read Full »

Dr. Vidya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is good that you have consulted a surgeon and arrived at a diagnosis. It is nothing to panic about. If the sludge is left behind, it can cause an obstruction and not allow the baby to ...  Read Full »