Q. Is Xarelto a viable option in patient with heterozygous factor V Leiden and DVT?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Oct 03, 2019

My girlfriend is 26 and was diagnosed with heterozygous factor V Leiden and heterozygous prothrombin 20210. She is very active, runs half marathons, and works out three to five times a week. She had broken her ankle, and we watched TV for two weeks and noticed some swelling. We took her to the doctor, and she had a DVT. She was also on birth control at the time. We have stopped birth control, and she did a regime of Xarelto.

Now since the doctors have found out, she has these two mutations, they want to put her back on Xarelto for life. Is this a viable option? Can she be safe without the blood thinners? We believe the clot was due to the increase factors (birth control, break, and sedentary life). Do you think she needs blood thinners for life or she can take then at times of increased risk breaks, surgery, pregnancy, etc.?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Hematology Pathology
#

Based on your query, my opinion is as follows,

1. Being positive for factor V Leiden and prothrombin is a considerable risk for thrombosis and is very much prone for thrombus formation in the future. This is very much common in homozygous inheritance individuals.

2. I do agree, OCP (rest could have been the cause. However, having associated other thrombosis risks with a history of thrombus (DVT) at present warrants indefinite anticoagulation therapy.

3. With the mutations in play, blood thinners are the safer choice.

4. However, if she is not keen on starting, in heterozygous patients, single thrombus should not warrant lifetime therapy. However, the risk is high up to eight times, compared to normal individuals. Need to watch for DVT symptoms particularly and if there is another episode in future, with or without OCP or any other factors, lifetime therapy is warranted. If there is another thrombotic episode, I would strongly suggest starting blood thinners for life as thrombus, if not detected early like the present time, can be life-threatening.

5. Being heterozygous at present, with a single episode, at present, with associated possible bleeding risks, blood thinners for life may not be warranted. I hope it helps.

Do constant pain in leg indicates DVT?

Query: Hello doctor, I have some pain in my lower left leg. It is more focused behind and around the knee, in my upper calf, and in the arch of my foot. It is not discolored or swollen or warm or colder than the other side. It is just uncomfortable. I have been pretty stationery due to an infection, but I...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vedprakash Verma
General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Leg pain behind the knees which is localized, non radiating in nature with no swelling, no history of prolonged bed rest and no fracture of a limb. Hence, this is not deep vein thromboembolism. DVT occurs when there is a prolonged history of immobilization with sudd...  Read Full

What are the chances of bleeding from a sudden blow if I am on blood thinners?

Query: Hello¬†doctor, I am on warfarin for life. Yesterday, while I was working in my house, I knocked the upper back part of my head on the marble roof of the window pane. It was neither a hard blow nor a soft one. It was medium. I did not feel any pain. I did not have any blackout but was stunned for two...  Read Full >>

Dr. Chirag Solanki
Neuro Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Firstly, I would like to know the indication for which you were prescribed Warfarin. Secondly, 3.73 is a higher INR (international normalized ratio) than normally desired which usually is between 2 to 2.5 or 2.5 to 3 according to indications, in most of the cases. Now,...  Read Full

I am diagnosed with DVT and under Xarelto. Should I continue it for three months or six months?

Query: Hello doctor, I have diagnosed with DVT before four months and currently on Xarelto 20 mg once a day. My hematologist has advised me to take six months of Xarelto. However, the literature says three months is enough. My all test results like protein C deficiency, protein S, factor 5, and prothrombi...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to the icliniq.com. I should appreciate your awareness of health. For venous thrombosis, anticoagulant should be taken for at least three months. However, when the risk of thrombosis is high than duration can be extended for the next additional three months. So the clinical correlatio...  Read Full

Ask a Hematologist Now