Q. A 19-year-old girl's brain is same as that of a newborn. What to do?

Dr. Riazahmed Syed
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Oct 01, 2019

I have a sister who is 19-years-old, fully grown physically and healthy, but she has no knowledge. She cannot talk, she does not have any idea, her brain is the same as that of a newborn baby. Do we have any treatment regarding this, please help with some suggestions.

Dr. Riazahmed Syed

Child Health Neurology
#

Your sister has developmental delay and predominant speech delay the cause of which could not be identifiable unless we go deep into history. How was her birth? Was she born under normal delivery? Her birth weight, how long she was in the hospital at the time of birth? Is she able to walk and recognize all? To look more details, MR brain is needed, but unfortunately, nothing could make her normal. But with physical therapy and speech therapy, she might improve.

Possible anoxia at birth.

MR brain.

Idiopathic.

Developmental delay.

Speech therapy and physiotherapy.

To be assessed by rehabilitation team

Kindly tell me the symptoms of frontotemporal dementia.

Query: Hello doctor, My mother has recently received a diagnosis of frontotemporal dementia. Here is a history of her: She had what we believed to be a nervous breakdown four years back. This was after a year of stress from a pending court case. After this breakdown, she displayed some psychotic symptoms....  Read Full >>

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read carefully your question and would explain that fronto-temporal diagnosis is a very challenging diagnosis, which is determined by the neuro-psychological tests and the progression of the disease. Sometimes, the radiological findings are not typical of this disorde...  Read Full

My baby's head size is big. Is it due to any abnormality?

Query: Hi doctor, I was blessed with twin baby girls before three months. It was a premature C-section at 36th week. At birth, one of my baby head size was 33 cm. After some days, it was 36.5 cm. So, the doctor was surprised and sent for an ultrasound scan. I have attached the first report of the scan. It ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help you. The head circumference of 40.5 cm at 8 weeks of age is definitely abnormal. In addition to that, the scan report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) clearly ...  Read Full

Why is my 11 year old son losing weight all of a sudden from last year?

Query: Hello doctor, I have an 11 year old son who weighs 25 kg and is 138 cm tall. Everyone feels that something is wrong with him, as he is losing weight from the past three years, and it is severe for the last year. He is a slow eater and eats for 40 minutes to an hour, even small meal. We keep telling ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the details that you have provided and the blood test report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). His problems are being underweight, fussy eater, constipation, and speech articulation problem. The blood tests show only vitamin D def...  Read Full