Q. My father has a brain hemorrhage. What treatment would you suggest?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

My father has a brain hemorrhage. He has multiple blood clots. I am attaching the CT scan reports. Please have a look.

#

• These are not blood clots but areas of bleeding within the brain.
  • He should be treated with hemostatic agents till the resolution of the hemorrhage and edema.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Can you please suggest a treatment for this condition? I stay in a small town with limited medical facilities.

#

• It is important to ensure the following is done to him:
  1. Perform endotracheal intubation if he has a decreased level of consciousness and poor airway protection.
  2. Cautiously lower blood pressure to a mean arterial pressure (MAP) less than 130 mm Hg, but avoid excessive hypotension.
  3. Intubate and hyperventilate if intracranial pressure is increased. Initiate the administration of Mannitol for further control.
  4. Maintain euvolemia, using normotonic rather than hypotonic fluids, to maintain brain perfusion without exacerbating the brain edema.
  5. Avoid hyperthermia.
  6. Correct any identifiable coagulopathy with fresh frozen plasma, vitamin K, protamine, or platelet transfusions.
  7. Initiate Levetiracetam or another anticonvulsant to prevent seizure activity.

|