Q. What are the recommended procedures to reach brain by a neurosurgeon?

Dr. Aida Quka

What are the ways a neurosurgeon can get to someone's brain? Along those lines, what does a person typically experience after having their skull opened or a bone flap?

Dr. Aida Quka

Neurology
#

Regarding your concern, I would explain that there are a lot of ways that a neurosurgeon can reach the brain:

1. Craniectomy: Trepanation and excision of the skull, which is called open surgery.

2. Endoscopy, through a device like a tube with a camera, which is called closed surgery.

3. Gala knife, which is a radiation technique, to treat brain lesions without opening the skull, but through radiation therapy.

4. Transphenoidal excision, through the nose, in case of pituitary tumors. This method avoids trepanation and uses anatomical ways through the nasal bone.

5. Endovascular catheterization to treat brain aneurysm and other vascular malformations by inserting catheters in the jugular vein, without trephination of the skull.

In all these cases, the patient experiences mild pain, mainly due to the wound, which is well dominated by Ibuprofen or Tylenol. So, just like other surgery but the main thing is that brain tissue does not hurt. So, nothing tremendous happens after surgery. Recovery is quite painless, compared to other types of surgery.

| 

Last question. Do you know anything about brain implant technologies?

Dr. Aida Quka

Neurology
#

Regarding brain implants, they are electronic devices put on the surface of the brain, used to stimulate that part of the brain. They are mini-invasive surgery with low pain after surgery. They are quite safe. In this regard, there are some different types of implants:

1. Deep brain stimulation in different parts of basal ganglia, used for movement disorders.

2. Vagal nerve stimulation used in epilepsy.

| 

Thank you so much. How can I contact you via call?

Dr. Aida Quka

Neurology
#

I am glad to have been helpful to you. You can contact the customer care team for further details about consulting me through call.

| 

If someone was to get a neural implant put in what is the surgery or procedure like to remove it? Also, are these implants visible with any type of scan prior to surgery?

Dr. Aida Quka

Neurology
#

Usually, removal is like implanting procedure. The pain is minimal as this is miniinvasive surgery (stereotactic). But the main risks are bleeding risk and infection risk. The device can be detected through brain CT scan or MRI. If the procedure is done by a specialist in the field, the rate of complications is less than 5 %.

|