Q. Can subdural hematoma be cured by medicines alone?

Dr. Sudheer Ambekar
Published on Dec 19, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Please go through and advise. 'Acute on chronic subdural hemorrhage in bilateral cerebral convexities measuring 2 cm in the right side and 1.3 cm in the left side. The mass effect is noted in the form of effacement of adjacent sulcal spaces and compression of ventricles. Thin rim of subdural hematoma is seen along the lateral convexity of the left cerebellar hemisphere with maximal thickness measuring about 4 mm. The C.P. Angeles and posterior fossa contents are normal. The basal cisterns and Sylvian fissures are normal. The sella, parasellar and suprasellar regions are normal.'

Immediate surgery was recommended by the doctors. The cause suspected is the use of Ecosprin 150 for the last three months. It was prescribed when last admitted for high sugar level which caused stroke symptoms. But, the brain CT was normal at that time. The patient has been diabetic for the last 35 years on insulin. Please advise if surgery is needed or it can be cured with medications. How critical is this condition and is it risky to delay? Is this a major or minor surgery? How will it be done?

Dr. Sudheer Ambekar

Neuro Surgery Neurology
#

Surgery is absolutely indicated in this case. This hematoma cannot be cured with medications. Surgery should not be delayed as there is a possibility of permanent brain damage if the mass effect is not relieved. This is usually a minor surgery.

Burr holes and drainage is the usual operation in most cases. In some cases, when there are membranes in the hematoma, craniotomy may be required to prevent recurrence.In addition to the surgery, Ecosprin (Aspirin) should be stopped immediately. It can be restarted at a later date depending upon its need.

For more information consult a neuro surgeon online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/neuro-surgeon

Sorry for the delayed reply. Thank you very much for the timely advise due to which we could take a decision to go ahead and get the surgery done. The patient has been discharged from hospital last Friday. The burr hole was done on one side and craniotomy on the other side as you anticipated. The CT report after surgery is attached herewith for your review. The questions on it are:

• Residual SDH of 7 mm on the left side is present and we were told that this is the best possible with burr hole on that side. Is this a concern for recurrence?
  • Residual SDF on right side 1.7 cm with a large air pocket. Are there any implications of this in terms of becoming an SDH?
  • Mid line shift of 9 mm. I am not sure if there is a concern here.
  • The day after the surgery, the patient became very normal with speech clarity and response but days after that he is dull, tired and not speaking out much. Is this a concern?

I would be grateful if you can let us know your opinion on the above. Ecospirin has been stopped for now until next review which is 10 days from discharge for stitches removal.

Dr. Sudheer Ambekar

Neuro Surgery Neurology
#

It depends on the condition of the patient. If the patient is alright, we can wait. If the patient has residual symptoms, we may need to re-explore.

For further queries consult a neuro surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neuro-surgeon

What is the treatment for hematoma?

Query: Hi doctor,Before five months, I had surgery for thigh hematoma. Now, the same problem started again. It is increasing in size and painful. Also, there is swelling. Please see the photo attached here.  Read Full »

Mom has brain hemorrhage and is unconscious. Please comment.

Query: Hi doctor,My mom has a brain hemorrhage. She has been unconscious. It has been two days since she is in ICU with artificial oxygen. Can you please comment more on this?  Read Full »

Do you think the treatment given for my father is right?

Query: Hi doctor, My father, who is 58 years old, having diabetes for the last 23 years. He always takes Insulin and other sugar tablets. His weight is 67 kg and height is 5'5". For the last two months, he has been taking Aspirin 75 mg. He had a minor headache for the last few days. Also, he had a cold an...  Read Full »

Ask a Neuro Surgeon Now