Q. Can subdural hematoma be cured by medicines alone?

Answered by Dr. Sudheer Ambekar and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Subdural Hemorrhage or Craniotomy? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

Please go through and advise. 'Acute on chronic subdural hemorrhage in bilateral cerebral convexities measuring 2 cm in the right side and 1.3 cm in the left side. The mass effect is noted in the form of effacement of adjacent sulcal spaces and compression of ventricles. Thin rim of subdural hematoma is seen along the lateral convexity of the left cerebellar hemisphere with maximal thickness measuring about 4 mm. The C.P. Angeles and posterior fossa contents are normal. The basal cisterns and Sylvian fissures are normal. The sella, parasellar and suprasellar regions are normal.'

Immediate surgery was recommended by the doctors. The cause suspected is the use of Ecosprin 150 for the last three months. It was prescribed when last admitted for high sugar level which caused stroke symptoms. But, the brain CT was normal at that time. The patient has been diabetic for the last 35 years on insulin. Please advise if surgery is needed or it can be cured with medications. How critical is this condition and is it risky to delay? Is this a major or minor surgery? How will it be done?