Q. Could you please interpret my friend's breast cancer report?

Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 15, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 01, 2020

I am writing this question on behalf of a friend of mine. She had breast cancer and was operated on for it before four months. She had her tests done again a few weeks ago, but she does not seem to believe the results and wants a second opinion. Could you please interpret the reports of her current situation? Thank you.

#

• The reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) are suggestive of breast cancer with axillary node metastasis, but other systems are not involved.
  • ER/PR positive status (estrogen and progesterone receptor) is suggestive of positive response to hormonal therapy.
  • Ki-67 index is high and it is suggestive of reduced disease free survival and less overall survival.

For further information consult a surgical oncologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/surgical-oncologist

Thank you very much for your reply. My only doubt is related to Ki-67. Is having a Ki-67 of 70% a bad symptom?

#

• I would say that it is not a favorable parameter.
  • Disease free survival and overall 5 year survival with Ki-67 less than or equal to 15 is around 89 percent whereas with Ki-67 above 40 it is around 74 percent.

|