iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersObstetrics and Gynecologybreast painWhat might be causing the painful breast swelling?

What are the treatment options for painful swelling in the breast?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At May 19, 2024
Reviewed AtMay 19, 2024

Patient's Query

My 68-year-old mother-in-law attained menopause 17 years ago and is not currently taking medication for any condition. However, she has borderline diabetes and elevated eye pressure. Recently, she noticed a large, painful swelling on her left breast with reddened skin, suggesting it may rupture soon although there is no visible opening yet. What could be the cause, doctor? How should it be treated? Are there any concerns we should be aware of? When should we seek medical assistance? Would it be advisable to take her to the hospital when it begins to rupture? She had this swelling for approximately two and a half months, but she only informed me about it recently and is reluctant to seek medical attention. She believes it will heal on its own and attributes it to excessive consumption of chicken causing overheating in her body.

Kindly help.

I can understand your concern.

According to your description, there is the possibility of having a breast infection and forming an abscess, so it should get drained. You should visit your nearby surgeon so that it can be examined and guided properly.

I hope these suggestions help.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Sanap Sneha Umrao
Dr. Sanap Sneha Umrao

Obstetrics and Gynecology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:

breast infectionbreast pain

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Obstetrics and Gynecology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy