Bronchoscopy

What is the purpose of bronchoscopy?

Query: Hello doctor, One week before, I had some fever and cough problem for which the doctor suggested a chest x-ray, sputum culture, and sensitivity test and give some antibiotic courses for five days. Currently, I am fine, with no fever or chest pain. Only some coughing is there. On examining lung x-...  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen all reports attached to your query and justify your concern about an invasive procedure like bronchoscopy. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The history you mentioned is quite clear but many important points are missing too. Without whi...  Read Full »

Is bronchoscopy and tube necessary in a pneumonia patient with COPD?

Query: Hello doctor,My father is in the hospital fighting pneumonia and has COPD. His latest X-ray has shown some improvement. The X-ray shows he has an extensive airspace and interstitial opacities in the left lung and patchy opacity in the right lower lung. The plan is to do a bronchoscopy and use a tube...  Read Full »

Dr. Harsha D S

Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the history of your father's illness you have provided (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The X-ray reports are suggestive of pneumonia. At this stage, on initial antibiotics and supportive treatment, if he has not improved, broncho...  Read Full »

Is there any alternative to bronchoscopy to get tissue for testing cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a family friend that recently was admitted to hospital for shortness of breath. She was advised that after several examinations that she has a form of cancer. The information that we were provided with was that they were unable to ascertain where or how severe the cancer was. S...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Confirmation of any form of cancer is by biopsy only when the malignant cells are visualized under a microscope and reported to be positive. Rest of the radiological test like HRCT and MRI are highly sensitive but not specific. I am assuming that the cancer was either d...  Read Full »

There was blood in the spit. What might be the reason?

Query: Hello doctor, I spit blood early in the morning after waking up. I consulted a dentist and then a chest specialist, who advised bronchoscopy and sputum tests. The reports were normal. But, nobody could find the cause for the blood in spit. It is happening from the past two years. Not regularly, but...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The most common causes of early morning blood in the sputum are: Chest infection or tuberculosis. Cardiac issues like rheumatic heart disease. Reflux esophagitis. Now, if your chest has been evaluated and a clearance has been given by your doctor, then my recommendatio...  Read Full »

Will bronchoscopy help to treat my uncle's collapsed lungs?

Query: Hi doctor, My uncle has been admitted to a hospital, after a week of high-grade fever along with a cough, which gradually increased. They took a chest x-ray and blood tests and confirmed that it is pneumonia, and my uncle was on O2. He was also suspected for swine flu, and we waited for the reports,...  Read Full »

Dr. Anshuman Srivastava

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen all the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) This history seems to be of acute viral pneumonitis, probably due to a new unknown strain or H1N1. Sometimes, cultures may be negative while he can still harbor it. The CT scan is suggestive of ...  Read Full »