Q. Kindly tell me if there is any alternative to bronchoscopy to get tissue for testing cancer.

I have a family friend that recently was admitted to hospital for shortness of breath. She was advised that after several examinations that she has a form of cancer. The information that we were provided with was that they were unable to ascertain where or how severe the cancer was. Some confusion over whether it was thyroid or lung cancer and also its placement. The advice given was for her to undertake a bronchoscopy in order to do a biopsy of the lung. She had complications as a result of the bronchoscopy and was put in ICU for observation. That was last week, we have now been told that she will not recover and is too weak to breathe for herself and fight cancer. They have given her 48 hours. I really would like a second opinion because I feel we have not been told the full story. Would you recommend this procedure despite knowing that a patient was under stress with her breathing? Was there another way they could have gone about retrieving what they needed through a different procedure? I just want to quiet the nagging thoughts I have because I feel like this should have been a simple day proceedure.

#

Confirmation of any form of cancer is by biopsy only when the malignant cells are visualized under a microscope and reported to be positive. Rest of the radiological test like HRCT and MRI are highly sensitive but not specific. I am assuming that the cancer was either diagnosed by cytology or radiology in her case and they did a bronchoscopy to get the tissue they suspected of being malignant. Usually, broncoscopy is done under anesthesia and does not cause any complication. Probably the cancer had been more advanced in this case or the patient's physical condition was poor but anyhow there is no other way than broncocopic tissue examination to confirm the diagnosis.

| 

Is thyroidectomy recommended for inconclusive thyroid cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, A year ago, I got a biopsy for two nodules in thyroid. The result for one was benign and the other inconclusive. This year I went back to a different doctor to redo my indeterminate biopsy. She advised me do for both again, because through ultrasound they look angry or vicious. In my righ...  Read Full »

I have a 2 mm solitary pulmonary nodule. Is this serious?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 74-year-old male, weighing 142 lbs, height 5'10" and a non-smoker. I worked in an auto body shop for two years and painting cars for 18 to 19 years. Had minimal exposure to asbestos and quit grain farming at the age of 44 years. When I was 56 years old, I had a severe panic dis...  Read Full »

Am I prone to lung cancer if I have a strong family history of smoking?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 29 years old and I have smoked three and a half pack years in total. I quit smoking three years ago and I smoked half pack a day from 19 to 26. My great grandmother on my grandfather's side died from lung cancer at 49. She was a very very heavy smoker and so was her husband so sh...  Read Full »