Burning Mouth Syndrome

What is the reason for burning sensation on the back of the tongue?

Query: Hello doctor, My doctor thought it was oral thrush, so she prescribed me some antifungal medicine for ten or so days. I finished that medicine around 12 days ago, and the tongue issue did not go away. Five days ago, I went to urgent care, and the doctor prescribed me a 150 mg Fluconazole or Difluca...  Read Full »

Dr. Syed Tehmid

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since you have been already treated for oral thrush and other possibilities have also been almost ruled out, one is tempted to think about what we call burning mouth syndrome or glossodynia. And among the most important causes for it is acid reflux. Since long-standi...  Read Full »

What should I do for enlarged tongue papillae with redness and burning sensation?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 31-year-old male. I do not use any medications except vitamin B complex for three weeks now. But the problem is my tongue has enlarged papillae (taste buds), and it is red on the sides and the whole front of the tongue. It is also a bit white on the top (it was more white in co...  Read Full »

Dr. B. Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for briefing the problem in concern. I had a detailed look at the pictures you have sent (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There are no abnormalities that I can see on the dorsal or ventral aspect of your tongue. It does not look like candidiasis...  Read Full »

My gums are inflamed and they hurt. What could it be?

Query: Hello doctor, I do not have gingivitis or that sort of thing my gums are not bleeding, but they hurt and feel like I burnt them at times. My tounge tingles at times. My gums look a little inflamed, but they hurt, and some teeth hurt, but X-rays look fine. Also, behind my wisdom teeth, it burns but ...  Read Full »

Dr. Parth Laxminarayan Iyer

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The situation you mention is very close (and likely to be) burning mouth syndrome (BMS). However, some more details would confirm the diagnosis. It is often aggravated by pericoronitis, a soft tissue inflammation surrounding an erupting wisdom tooth. In BMS, it is be...  Read Full »