Q. I have itchy rashes on both my hands and arms due to caffeine allergy. Please help.

Dr. Aisvareea
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 17, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 12, 2020

I have been experiencing very itchy rashes on both my hands and a little bit on my arms for one week. I suspect that the cause of it was an allergic reaction from cold brew coffee.

Before the rashes occurred, I was already experiencing some sort of dyshidrotic eczema on both hands. It was already healing. But, on July 29th, I drank a cold brew. It was my first time to drink cold brew that I made with ground coffee (dark medium roast) steeped for about 10 hours. I was aware that cold brew has higher caffeine content. So, I suspected it might be that my body cannot handle that amount since I never had problems drinking instant coffee.

I use Bepanthen itch relief cream for itchiness.

#

Yes, it looks like an allergic rash (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

If it is present only over your upper limbs and not over the trunk it will subside. No need to worry, if you have stopped taking the allergic agent probably some allergen with the coffee. It is going to subside in its slow pace. We have to give some oral steroid tablets to hasten the recovery. I would like you to take the tablets and review back for follow up as I am starting you on systemic steroids.

Allergy.

CBC (complete blood count). RFT (renal function test). LFT (liver function test). ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate). PCV (packed cell volume).

Allergic dermatitis.

Tablet Prednisolone 5 mg two tablets in the morning and two tablets in the evening for three days and review. Tablet Levocetirizine 5 mg one at night daily for thee days. Cetaphil moisturizer at night and in the morning.

Stop the affending chemical.

After three days.

|