Q. I have itchy skin rashes with abdominal cramps and nausea. Will IUD allergy cause such symptoms?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 24, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 27, 2020

I am very itchy. One time my finger itched in the same spot for like two or three days intermittently, then it was my foot. I have also developed skin rashes that come and go. Doctors say it is either eczema or some kind of skin condition or bug bite. These rashes come and go, one doctor even thought I had an STD and so I got tested for every STD out there, everything came back negative. I even got tested for cancers, diabetes, lupus, hepatitis and a whole bunch of other stuff. Again everything was normal.

I am also experiencing dizziness where it feels like the room is spinning off and on and tightness of the skull. First, it was on the right and left side then it migrated to the back and now it is back and the front. Sometimes my scalp feels like burning. I have got chills on my hands and feet. I have abdominal cramps, diarrhea, and nausea. What is going on with me? I am on the paragard IUD, but no one wants to say I am having an allergic reaction and they are telling me everything is fine. I am so scared because I think I am being poisoned. Do you think this is a reaction? Or do you think I am a hypochondriac? I am currently on psychiatric pills and mood stabilizers.

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

I have gone through your query and reviewed the attached photograph. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

It seems to be an eczematous rash. Also, the rest of the symptoms could be a side effect of the IUD (intrauterine device). You can consider removing it.

For the rash, I would recommend you to apply topical steroid like Clobetasol propionate cream on the affected areas twice daily along with antihistaminic like tablet Cetrizine 10 mg once or twice daily depending on the intensity of itching for two weeks. This should help in resolving your problem. Steroidal preparations are prescription drugs and you need to see the doctor in person to get them.

| 

Are you certified? Do you have a Ph.D and is it recognized in the US?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

I am a dermatologist. I have done MD in dermatology and venereology. It is a postgraduation degree in dermatology and venereology. I do not think it is recognized in the USA.

|