Cancer Antigen

I am positive for BRCA 1. Am I prone to cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 30 years old. I have BRCA1 genetic mutation that is still undergoing more research as they are not sure of the exact risk yet. My mom had breast cancer at the age of 56 and her cousin had the same at the age of 46. They were both positive to hormonal therapy. Another cousin had ova...  Read Full »

Dr. Rajesh Gulati

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since you have BRCA1 (breast cancer type 1) positive with a strong family history of breast cancer, there is always a risk of developing cancer. You need to have a regular followup. Ultrasound sometime may miss early changes. Since you have a high tendency of developin...  Read Full »

What is the difference between a cystic structure and a cyst?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis with IV contrast. The radiologist report is as follows. The findings are as follows. There is a 0.9 cm cystic structure in the uncinate process, which is new since the comparative examination with the last year scan report. This should be further...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. Cystic structure or cyst is the same thing. Actually cyst is completely surrounded by a wall while your radiologist might have seen a structure similar to cyst with ill-defined walls. Radiology is not the answer to your question. You will get your...  Read Full »

What is the significance of an elevated CA-19 tumor marker?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a question regarding the significance of an elevated CA-19 tumor marker. I recently had one and that came back as 43 (per laboratory should have been under 34). I do not have cancer and I am wondering what else could cause this elevation? Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Rajesh Kumar Padhan

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. CA 19-9 (cancer antigen) is a tumor marker, but it can be elevated in healthy individual. It can be elevated in benign conditions like pancreatitis, cirrhosis, thyroid disease and inflammatory bowel disease. It can be elevated in various gastrointestinal malignancies like...  Read Full »

Does high CA-125 confirm that I have cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a history of inflammatory myofibroblastic tumor detected at the age of 11 years, which was around 12 years back and had undergone an operation for the same. Currently, my CA-125 in serum is 125.37 U/ml. The ultrasound scan revealed large multiloculated well-defined bilateral adn...  Read Full »

Dr. Raghu

General Surgeon, Surgical Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your reports, there seem to be ovarian tumors on both sides. The type of tumor, either benign or malignant, can be revealed only after removal. It may be unrelated to your previous tumor. The value of CA-125 though raised does not indicate malignancy. It is mar...  Read Full »

What liver problem do the attached reports show?

Query: Hi doctor, Kindly take a look at the medical reports of the patient. He suffers from a liver problem, which suddenly started last week. Could you please diagnose the case and give your recommendations? Can the patient be treated with medication or should he go for surgery? Thank you.  Read Full »

Dr. Ankur Jindal

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.I have seen the attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).It appears to be a large cystic liver lesion. It is possibly the remains of an amoebic liver abscess or hydatid cyst.I suggest getting an amoebic serology and hydatid serology. Also get a C...  Read Full »

I have endometriosis and cysts in both my ovaries. Should I try IVF?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 34 year old female, and I am suffering from severe pain and heavy bleeding every month, during my periods. I need to take painkillers to feel fine, and sometimes, it does not work. My recent medical report shows that I have endometriosis and cysts on both of my ovaries. But, I am s...  Read Full »

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are few conditions where CA-125 (cancer antigen 125) remains elevated. Some of them are cancerous and some of them benign. Endometriosis is a benign condition, where CA-125 remains high. So, that is the reason for your high CA-125. IVF (in vitro fertiliz...  Read Full »