Q. Does a mass in the left mid lung of 5. 3 x 4. 5 cm and a CEA result of 897 confirm lung cancer?

Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

My mother is easily getting tired. I want to inquire and evaluate the x-ray result and laboratory report of my mother. Her x-ray shows that she had a mass in the left mid lung measuring 5.3 x 4.5 cm. Her CEA (carcinoembryonic antigen) result is 897 was the latest. She was previously diagnosed with cervical cancer and had radiation, chemotherapy, and other medication for cancer.

#

Thank you for the query.

I can understand your concern.

According to your statement, your mother has recently done a CXR (chest x-ray) P/A (posteroanterior) view. Her x-ray film (attachment removed to protect patient identity) has shown a mass in the left mid lung, lung nodules on the right lower lung, and pneumonia on the right lower lung. Her CEA is 897.30 ng/ml, which is very higher than normal.

Levels of Carcinoembryonic Antigen or CEA higher than 20 ng/ml are considered very high. High levels of CEA can be a sign of some types of cancer like cancer of the colon and rectum, prostate, ovary, lung, thyroid, or liver. Again some noncancerous conditions like breast disease, cirrhosis, and emphysema may also elevate CEA levels.

According to her x-ray film and high levels of CEA results, she may have any lung cancer. CT (computed tomography) guided or USG (ultrasound) guided FNAC (fine needle aspiration cytology) or biopsy from the left lung mass may help confirm the diagnosis. So it would help if you underwent CT or USG guided FNAC or biopsy as soon as possible to confirm the diagnosis.

Take care. In case of any other query, ask me.

Hi doctor.

Thank you for your reply.

For her case, what will be the recommended procedure CT, USG guided, or FNAC? My mother does not want to do the biopsy. But in your assessment, are you saying that this is confirmed lung cancer?

#

Thank you for joining again.

USG or CT-guided FNAC or Biopsy will help to confirm the diagnosis. CT-guided FNAC or biopsy will be better. Your mother can undergo CT guided FNAC or biopsy to confirm the diagnosis.

According to your patient's CXR film, such type of lung lesion or mass may result from lung cancer and many other causes. Your mother's recent very high CEA level also suggests carcinoma. She has a history of previous cervical cancer and receiving both chemotherapies as well as radiotherapy.

All points are in favor of carcinoma, but nothing is confirmed yet. CT-guided FNAC or biopsy is the gold standard test here. Without seeing the result of a CT-guided FNAC or biopsy, it is very difficult to confirm the diagnosis.

Take care. Let me know if I can assist you further.

|