Q. Chemotherapy sessions for breast cancer has been increased to 12. Why?

Dr. Arshad Hussain Shah
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 07, 2019 and last reviewed on: Feb 12, 2021

My mother is suffering from breast cancer, and her treatment is going on. We have already done four chemotherapy with a gap of 21 days, but now instead the surgery doctor advised us to take 12 chemotherapy weekly. Please let me know the treatment that is going on is right or wrong?

#

It is called neoadjuvant chemotherapy. So with chemotherapy, the size of the tumor is reduced significantly to make breast tumor operable. She has completed four cycles every 21 days, and now they will start the second phase of weekly chemotherapy (a new drug) for 12 weeks as per international recommendations. After completion of the second phase, chemotherapy she will be restaged before surgery. It would be better if you would have attached CT scan, pathology (biopsy) reports also.

|