Childhood Obesity

What does 95th percentile mean for a 9-year-old boy?

Query: Hello doctor, My son is 9 years old. He is 4 feet and 11 inches and weighs about 107 lbs. I checked his BMI, it said he was obese in the 95th percentile. He is active. Should I worry about his weight? And if so, how can I help him with it?  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash Nagar

Paediatrician, Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your son has good height and for the same reason, his weight is not worrisome. But definitely he is on 95th centile for his height as well as for his age. Also, his BMI (body mass index) is 22.4 which puts him in the category of obese. Let him have a lot of outdoor a...  Read Full »