Q. I am getting pain in penis and tingling sensation in testicles. Please help.

Answered by
Dr. Raman Tanwar
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 10, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 20, 2019

Hi doctor,

I am a 27 year old sexually active male. I have been with the same girl for the past 10 years and we are loyal in the relationship. I am having a ton of issues and pain in my lower region. The symptoms are lower back pain, pain in my pubic region, pain and tingling in my testicles, burning with and without urination and pain within the penis. I have been to three different walk-in clinics and had three different antibiotics, including Levaquin, Bactrim and Cipro. I went to a urologist and was told to have pelvic pain syndrome. I have had similar issues in the past. I dealt with a prostate infection a few years ago and that was treated with antibiotics. But, this time nothing is working. Most urine cultures show no bacteria. My thoughts are possibly pudendal neuralgia or interstitial cystitis, as my mom has IC. Do you advise sonogram or endoscopy or medications?



Welcome to

Your symptoms do point towards chronic prostatitis. With negative culture and positive pus cells, it is likely that you are suffering from CPPS IIIA, which is non-bacterial inflammatory chronic prostatitis. Now, this is a difficult condition to manage and requires long-term therapy. I would suggest that you follow up with a urologist on a long term basis. Therapy takes some time and different medications work for different patients.

IC (interstitial cystitis- painful bladder) is also a possible condition, but CPPS is more common in males than IC. You do not meet all criteria for IC as per the classic definitions. So, I would keep CPPS as the first differential. I am mentioning some tests that you may want to get done to clarify the situation in a better way.

The Probable causes:

Recurrent infections.

Investigations to be done:

Urine anti-proliferative factor, EPS Culture (expressed prostatic secretions) after prostatic massage, uroflowmetry with post-void residual urine assessment and cystoscopy.

Differential diagnosis:

2. BPS (bladder pain syndrome) / IC.

Treatment plan:

I suggest combination of Amitriptyline, alpha blockers, NSAIDS (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) and Gabapentin. Dietary modifications will be necessary. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

Preventive measures:

Stay away from spices, coffee and anything that you feel trigger the symptoms or aggravate them.

Regarding follow up:

Revert back with the reports to a urologist online.--->

Thank you doctor,

I really appreciate your answer and the extra information. I am going to follow up with a urologist. Is kidney stone or bladder stone a possible cause of this? Do you think getting a sonogram of my bladder, kidneys and scrotum would be beneficial in trying to rule out?



Welcome back to

  • Bladder stones are a possibility, but less likely. Kidney stones are very unlikely to cause such symptoms.
  • You may do well by getting an ultrasound done and I do recommend it.
  • The post-void residual assessment that I mentioned is done by sonography only and it may be a good chance to assess bladder stone. It is likely that your sonography may show the changes of cystitis.
  • I will appreciate if you can send over the reports to me so that I can help you further. The therapy would obviously be best under the guidance of urologist.

Revert back with the reports to a urologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Is it normal to have nausea and stomach pain after taking Panadol?

.. that you mentioned all contain NSAIDs. These drugs are known to damage stomach mucosal lining and cause gastritis. I would suggest to minimise these drugs. You can use some over-the-counter antacids like Pantoprazole or Ranitidine available at sto...   Read full

How to clear kidney stones?

Hi doctor, I have a kidney stone in my right kidney and I have abdominal pain ... I need to know the full details of your kidney stone like stone size, location, et...   Read full

I am experiencing pain while urinating but all tests are normal. What could be the reason?

Hi doctor, I am a first year BDS student. I have tremors in my hands whenever I apply force or hold an object with some pressure. I want to become an oral and maxillofacial surgeon or orthodontics. Can I become a dentist despite these tremors? Can...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Coronavirus Variant Arcturus: | Omicron XBB.1.16 Variant
Arcturus is an emerging variant of the Omicron virus that causes various symptoms and spreads rapidly across the world. ...  Read more»
Adrenaline Rush - Symptoms, Causes, Effects, and How to Control
Adrenaline is a hormone responsible for fight or flight response. It is also a neurotransmitter and medicine. It is also...  Read more»
Fatty Liver - Types, Symptoms, Stages, and Treatment
The liver is the largest gland in the body. Its primary function is to process the food and drinks we consume. and filte...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Urologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.