Q. I have a cold two months after COVID. Is it due to COVID or allergic asthma?

Dr. Zubayeralam
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 09, 2021 and last reviewed on: Sep 15, 2021

I had COVID on the seventh two months ago, and the first negative report came on the fourteenth two months ago. Now I am recovering from COVID. However, today I had a cold, sneezing, and headache as I went outside in hot weather. I had the same problem of getting cold, sneezing, and headaches earlier, particularly when I was exposed to too hot or too cold weather. Sometimes I get a fever and cough too. This happens in a change of weather too. The doctor suggested I have allergic asthma. Most of the time, when I have a cold or cough, some wheezing is also there. I went for an allergic test around four to five years ago and found allergic to dust, molds, smells, and cockroach. Currently, I am taking Foracort 200 and Montair-LC. Today again, when I went outside having hot exposure, I got cold, sneezing, and headache. Please suggest if I have asthma. If yes, how to get rid of this cold with hot exposure. Or is it an after COVID effect? Kindly give your opinion.

#

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from allergic rhinitis or pre-asthmatic status. Allergic rhinitis is associated with symptoms that can mainly affect your nose. These symptoms may result from when you breathe in something you are allergic to, like dust, smoke, dander, molds, perfumes, pollen, mites, spores, etc. Allergic rhinitis is the inflammation of the nasal membranes characterized by sneezing, nasal congestion, nasal irritation, runny nose, coughing, etc. Again, climate changes, too hot weather, or too cold weather may trigger allergic rhinitis. Patients with allergic rhinitis are prone to develop sinus headaches characterized by soreness behind their cheekbones and forehead. Wearing a face mask, stay away from the triggering factors like dust, smoke, dander, or pollen, during climate changing take antihistamines like Fexofenadine, using intranasal corticosteroids, leukotriene receptor antagonists like Montelukast, oral steroids, etc., may help you to relieve from allergic rhinitis or pre-asthmatic status. Your present and history suggest that you are most probably suffering from allergic rhinitis now, rather than COVID-19 infection. For your headache, you can take Acetaminophen or Paracetamol. I hope this was helpful.

|