Q. Blood is mixed in stools. Is colonoscopy mandatory?

Dr. Jagdish Singh
Published on Jul 08, 2019

Blood mixed in the stool, passing stool three to four times in a day little pain while passing stool. The investigation done are CBC, C-reactive protein, serum creatinine, sugar, and all are normal. Procedure advised is a colonoscopy. I do not want to undergo this procedure. Any other blood or scan test to detect the problem or is colonoscopy necessary? Please help.

Dr. Jagdish Singh

Medical Gastroenterology
#

How long you have suffered from this problem? Do you have any night time symptoms?

| 

For the past three days, I see blood in the stool, but passing stool for three to four times past 4 to 5 years. Always I feel as if stool not passed fully.

Dr. Jagdish Singh

Medical Gastroenterology
#

There are two possibilities.

1. Hemorrhoids and

2. Colitis.

Differentiation depends upon

1. Whether the stool mixed with blood or after yellow stools,

2. Whether the stool is hard or loose.

But 100 % confirmation achieved with sigmoidoscopy. Colonoscopy is not required.

| 

The stool is mixed with blood, and stool is not too hard it is loose. I am attaching pictures for more details. What is the difference in both procedure? They are done with the same technique. Are there any complications in the procedure?

Dr. Jagdish Singh

Medical Gastroenterology
#

Sigmoidoscopy is done for small distance 25 to 30 cm, it is not painful and does not require any sedation. Colonoscopy is the test for complete colon that requires sedation may be slightly painful. And it requires preparation on the previous day. So please go for sigmoidoscopy that will clear things.

| 

What do you feel seeing stool? Where does problem lies and is the colon fine? In which part you think the problem is, and is it too serious? What are the cause and further precautions?

Dr. Jagdish Singh

Medical Gastroenterology
#

It is not severe (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Blood is red, so the last part of the intestine is affected. Treatment and precautions depend upon the reason behind this. Avoid oily and spicy foods.

| 

What are the causes of constipation and blood in stools?

Query: Hello doctor, I had diarrhea two years back, and since then I had gastrointestinal problems. But, I never had mucous or blood in the stools, so I thought it is because of IBS and did not take any medication. My stool test reports showed no signs of parasites or any other organisms in the stools. Lat...  Read Full »

Is it normal to have green stool a day after colonoscopy?

Query: Hello doctor, Yesterday, I had a colonoscopy and today I had a bowel movement that was bright green. Should I contact the doctor who performed the procedure or is this normal? I am a 32-year-old female.  Read Full »