iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersPulmonology (Asthma Doctors)covid-19When is hospitalization required for a COVID-19 patient?

From the reports, can you please tell me if this COVID-19 patient needs hospitalization?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At May 10, 2021
Reviewed AtJuly 14, 2023

Patient's Query

From the reports attached, can you please tell me if hospitalization is required for this COVID-19 patient?

Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. According to the investigation report (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity), it shows: Hb (hemoglobin) level is 10.2 gm/dL where normal value is 13.5-18 gm/dL. So, the patient is anemic, suggesting three units of human whole fresh blood transfusion. For blood transfusion, he needs to be admitted to the hospital. Also, he has an electrolyte imbalance with his sodium level below normal. His D-dimer level is high above normal, which predicts future clotting disorder. His CRP (C-reactive protein) is very high, along with a raised level of both Ferritin and LDH (lactic dehydrogenase). His HRCT (high resolution computed tomography) of the chest has suggested viral pneumonitis, as bilateral ground-glass opacities are found. I went through his prescription. The doctor has added antiviral medications. 1. If your patient has respiratory distress, then tablet Dexamethasone 4 mg twice daily can be added to this. 2. If your patient's oxygen saturation level declines below 92%, then he should be admitted into the hospital for oxygen inhalation therapy. Monitor his oxygen saturation rate routinely by a pulse oximeter. Take care. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Patient's Query

Thank you doctor for your advice.

Can you please let me know how bad his computed tomography (CT) chest report is?

Welcome back to icliniq.com. COVID pneumonia can be divided into three categories, namely mild, moderate and severe. In that case, this patient's COVID pneumonia is moderate. It can enter the severe stage shortly or return to the mild stage and eventually subside. If your patient's oxygen saturation level gradually declines or suffers from a severe cough or shortness of breath, it will indicate that the patient's health condition is deteriorating. His COVID pneumonia has entered a severe stage. Close monitoring of his oxygen saturation level is much vital. Monitor his oxygen saturation level by pulse oximeter routinely. As he is anemic at present, he will suffer from weakness, tiredness, tingling sensation in hands and feet, breathlessness after doing minor works like walking, etc. Without blood transfusion, this type of condition will not improve. So, it will be better for him to get admitted to the hospital for blood transfusions. Take care. In case of any other query, ask me.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam
Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam

Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:

anemiacovid-19

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy