Q. From the reports, can you please tell me if this COVID-19 patient needs hospitalization?

Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam
This is a premium question & answer published on May 10, 2021 and last reviewed on: May 17, 2021

From the reports attached, can you please tell me if hospitalization is required for this COVID-19 patient?

#

I can understand your concern. According to the investigation report (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity), it shows:

• Hb (hemoglobin) level is 10.2 gm/dL where normal value is 13.5-18 gm/dL. So, the patient is anemic, suggesting three units of human whole fresh blood transfusion. For blood transfusion, he needs to be admitted to the hospital.
  • Also, he has an electrolyte imbalance with his sodium level below normal. His D-dimer level is high above normal, which predicts future clotting disorder. His CRP (C-reactive protein) is very high, along with a raised level of both Ferritin and LDH (lactic dehydrogenase).
  • His HRCT (high resolution computed tomography) of the chest has suggested viral pneumonitis, as bilateral ground-glass opacities are found.

I went through his prescription. The doctor has added antiviral medications.

1. If your patient has respiratory distress, then tablet Dexamethasone 4 mg twice daily can be added to this.
  2. If your patient's oxygen saturation level declines below 92%, then he should be admitted into the hospital for oxygen inhalation therapy. Monitor his oxygen saturation rate routinely by a pulse oximeter.

Take care. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you doctor for your advice.

Can you please let me know how bad his CT chest report is?

#

COVID pneumonia can be divided into three categories, namely mild, moderate and severe. In that case, this patient's COVID pneumonia is moderate. It can enter the severe stage shortly or return to the mild stage and eventually subside.

• If your patient's oxygen saturation level gradually declines or suffers from a severe cough or shortness of breath, it will indicate that the patient's health condition is deteriorating. His COVID pneumonia has entered a severe stage.
  • Close monitoring of his oxygen saturation level is much vital. Monitor his oxygen saturation level by pulse oximeter routinely.
  • As he is anemic at present, he will suffer from weakness, tiredness, tingling sensation in hands and feet, breathlessness after doing minor works like walking, etc. Without blood transfusion, this type of condition will not improve. So, it will be better for him to get admitted to the hospital for blood transfusions.

Take care. In case of any other query, ask me.

|