Q. Is the lung damage due to COVID in my father permanent?

Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam

My father is 75 years old and has mild COVID symptoms. His HRCT showed mild COVID pneumonia. His CO-RADS was five, and his severity score was 11/25. He is fine now with no fever. He has weakness and is on medicines. I just wanted to know:-

1. Is the lung damage that occurred is permanent?

2. If yes, how much percentage of the lung is working now?

3. As he is also a heart patient, what precautions should he take?

#

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, your father has been suffering from COVID pneumonia. He has also been suffering from COVID-19 associated complications or consequences like weakness. According to his HRCT (high resolution computed tomography) of Chest, his CO-RADS (corona disease reporting and data system) score is five, and his CT (computed tomography) severity score is 11/25. CO-RADS 5 indicates a very high level of suspicion for pulmonary involvement by COVID-19 based on typical CT findings.

On the other hand, the CT severity score of 11/25 indicates moderate severity of COVID-19 infection as from above 8/25 to below 18/25 indicates moderate severity of COVID-19 conditions. As your father's HRCT of the Chest has only suggested COVID pneumonia, and there is no presence of pulmonary fibrosis, so it is a reversible condition that means your father's lung will go back to its previous state after subsiding of COVID pneumonia. Without pulmonary fibrosis, lungs usually return to their last normal condition after subsiding of the present respiratory complications.

As he is a cardiac patient, check his blood pressure regularly and observe to detect the symptoms of any edema like ankle edema, respiratory distress, pleural effusion, etc. Monitor his oxygen saturation level by pulse oximeter routinely. If his oxygen saturation level declines below 92%, get him admitted into the hospital for oxygen inhalation therapy.

Take care. Let me know if I can assist you further.

|