Cpap

Can I opt for minor surgery to help my sleep apnea?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 24-year-old male. I take Xanax 500 mcg, Pregabalin 600 mg, Lansoprazole 30 mg OD, Sertraline 100 mg, Sumatriptan 50 mg, Piriton OD, and Propranolol 40 mg TDS, and I am taking all these medications for quite an extended period. I am taking Prednisolone 30 mg OD, Co-Amoxiclav 50...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms are suggestive of sleep apnea. For this reason, I would agree with Modafinil therapy. But before that, I would recommend performing pulmonary function tests and a polysomnogram to confirm this diagnosis. I would not recommend the regular intake of Xana...  Read Full »

What causes involuntary puffing?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 45 year old male. A month back, I was diagnosed with sleep apnea. I have enclosed my report here. I feel breathless at night while lying down and I was advised it as because of sleep apnea. I have been trying to use a CPAP. For past two months I am experiencing breathlessness on...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your query and reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) in detail. Please find my observations below. There is a probability of having a parasomnia which is defined as sleep disorders that involve abnormal movements and features like...  Read Full »

A male with muscle spasms is tired and sleepy throughout the day. What could this be?

Query: Hello doctor,This is regarding a male aged 48 with high blood pressure, diabetes, sleep apnea, and overweight. He has muscle spasms or shakes, drops things because of this, cannot stay awake during the day. It affects his driving and family life. He can nap for a few hours and when he gets up falls ...  Read Full »

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is clear that he has obstructive sleep apnea which causes interrupted sleep during the night due to obstruction of the nasopharyngeal air flow. As a consequence, he becomes sleepy in the daytime. Confirmation of the diagnosis requires: Polysomnography. Over th...  Read Full »

Why do I have excessive daytime sleepiness? How to treat it?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 16-year-old female. My weight is 85 kilograms, and I have a height of 5 feet 3 inch. I have excessive daytime sleepiness for the past three years. It got started in me before three years, and my parents took me to the local GP immediately. They did blood tests and told that I have...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have obstructive sleep apnea. Please say about other symptoms whether you had snoring, interrupted sleep, unrefreshed sleep, and morning headaches. If you had these symptoms, it supports the diagnosis. It is a condition characterized by obstruction of upper airway e...  Read Full »

What is the reason for chest pain after using CPAP?

Query: Hi doctor, I have obstructive sleep apnea and using CPAP for a year. I feel chest pain in the mornings. The same kind of pain is felt whenever I sleep without the mask. My BP, sugar and ECGs were tested before six months back and they were normal. What is the cause and remedy?  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. OSA that is obstructive sleep apnea happens when something partly or completely blocks your upper airway during sleep. The common symptoms of the disease are snoring and intermittent pauses in your breathing during sleep, daytime sleepiness, difficulty in conc...  Read Full »

MRI shows stroke and brain changes. Is it due to untreated sleep apnea?

Query: Hello doctor, The patient underwent extensive routine physical examination including MR/CT imaging and laboratory analysis earlier this month. The MR Brain shows evidence of lacunar stroke and ischemic brain changes. Please advise if these might be connected to untreated obstructive sleep apnea (mor...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I carefully went through your question and the patient's medical history. I reviewed her medical report and the uploaded brain MRI study (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and would explain that those changes are indicative of small vessel disease, whic...  Read Full »

My son is feeling sleepy all the time. What is his problem?

Query: Hi doctor,My son of 23 years is feeling sleepy all the time, walks while sleeping, sleeps while standing and falls asleep while traveling in a car. He has concentration problems and very irritable. He is overweight. Of late, even his speech is not very clear. What is the problem? Which specialty doc...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Does he snore? Is he having problems like interrupted sleep, morning headaches? Is his TSH normal? Most likely, he is having sleep apnea. It is a condition characterized by temporary cessation of respiration in sleep leading to interrupted sleep, low oxygen levels in bloo...  Read Full »

My heart rate increases with exertion. Should I be worried?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a severe doctor phobia. I am unable to go in for care, but I need to understand something happening better and if it is normal for my health. I had an episode of something a couple of months ago. I got extremely sick, started vomiting and sweating horribly, has chills and massivel...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, there is no need to worry and relieve your anxiety. In all probabilities, you are having obstructive sleep apnea as all your data fits into it. Do you have any symptoms like snoring, interrupted sleep, unrefreshing sleep, morning headaches, daytime sleepi...  Read Full »

How long should my mother stay on a ventilator?

Query: Hello doctor,My 98 year old mother is on a ventilator. Yesterday, they did a T-piece trial and for an hour everything looked good. But, the blood gases showed 61% Co2 and her last blood gas was 51% while on CPAP. They are going to do another test in a few days. The head RT said because of that Co2 s...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. It all depends on the primary cause leading her to a ventilator. In case it is an acute pneumonia or bronchitis, once the infection settles, then the pCo2 levels settle automatic and the lung function will improve. In fact, if she is conscious an...  Read Full »

Why am I devoid of quality sleep?

Query: Hi doctor, I am on CPAP for two years and my AHI is in normal limits. But, the quality of my sleep is not good. My body and brain are not at all relaxing during sleep. I have aching muscles. Please guide.  Read Full »

Dr. Bharat Udey

Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Sexologist, Sleep Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It seems that you might have developed some sleep issues mounting for insomnia. As you have mentioned that you are using continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) and your apnea-hypopnea index (AHI) is well maintained, this sleep issue might be related with some ...  Read Full »