Q. Is it possible to have low blood pressure and symptoms of anemia after dengue?

Female, 34 years old, 164 cm height, and 74 kg weight. Last month I suffered from dengue fever DHF NS1 antigen positive right lung pneumonia right lung pleval effusion, ascites, and type 1 respiratory failure, anemia and PV bleeding. Now after recovery, I consulted doctor, he carried out various test as found all normal except reticulate count 3.2, Hb 9.9, mean corpuscular vol 104.7 plus all ultrasound and X-ray are now normal. Coombs direct test is positive so doctor has told to consult hematologist regarding this and current prescription is Folic acid 5 mg only.

My problem is only weakness and low blood pressure and symptoms of an anemic patient. Kindly guide what is the treatment for coombs test positive patient.

Hematology Pathology
#

The positive direct coombs test is suggestive of some form of hemolytic anemia in which antibody bind to red blood cells. The DCT could be positive because of immune hemolytic anemia. Dengue infection is form of viral infection and it can cause immune hemolytic anemia for short time. So, your DCT might be positive.

Drink lots of water and fruit juice. After full recovery from dengue, repeat DCT test after few days. The iron supplement can be prescribed. You can consult nearby hematologist for detailed evaluation.

|