HomeAnswersDentistrydental cariesMy mother is 50 years old and has had black spots on her teeth for the past three months. Please help.

What can be done to prevent tooth decay?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Answered by

Dr. Bharat Joshi

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At October 13, 2023
Reviewed AtDecember 12, 2023

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

My mother is 50 years old, and I am observing black spots on her teeth for the past three months (had two black spots on two teeth from childhood but for the other tooth the black spots are newly appearing on the top of the upper tooth). Could you please help with the cause and what should be done now as the decay is also passing to other teeth?

Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Bharat Joshi


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I can understand your concern. I can see the blackish spots that seem to be a combination of arrested caries and stains (attachment hidden to protect the patient’s identity). Since the other teeth are also showing abrasion and calculus so I confirm these spots are the combination of stains (erosion- chemical waste and tear or some birth disease) and caries. However, for exact confirmation X-rays are a must to see the amount of damage. The treatment options are:

1 Scaling (preferably manual) followed by RCT (root canal treatment) for abrasions and restorations (light cure) and capping.

2 Veneers can also be placed for black spots but after confirmation of caries.

3 In case of mobility, you need to have a splint also.

4 Finally, I would suggest you undergo an X-ray of that particular tooth for further treatment options. Please do not go for bleaching.

I hope this helps you.



Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Bharat Joshi
Dr. Bharat Joshi


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:

dental scalingdental caries

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy