Dental Caries

What are the painless methods to treat a tooth with dental caries?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a root canal and it was a traumatizing experience. My endodontist tried for an hour to give numbness to my tooth. He gave a maximum amount of Novocain and told me that no more can be given after this level. He told me that my pain gets manifested by being tensed and you need to go ...  Read Full »

Dr. Bharat Joshi

Dentist, Periodontist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I agree that RCT (root canal treatment) is definitely a painless procedure. In your case, anesthesia was not effective and your endodontist should have postponed your appointment by giving you medications. The techniques of anesthesia range from intraligamentary, in...  Read Full »

What is gingivitis and how to prevent it?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 64 years old with comorbidities. I have swollen gums in the area around my upper left molar. The pain is causing me discomfort, and it is the third day. My gums are painful, and perhaps it is the cause of my headache also. Can you please give me a remedy that does not include going ...  Read Full »

Dr. Charity Gaile Santiago

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I hope you are fine despite the pandemic. If your gum is the problem, you can use Orahex mouthwash (Chlorhexidine Gluconate, Sodium Fluoride, and Zinc Chloride). It is an antibiotic mouthwash for swollen gums. You need to use it twice a day for 14 days. There is a measu...  Read Full »

Can a painful tooth be filled?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having pain continuously in one cavity in which I had a filling earlier. I am taking a tablet with Diclofenac and Paracetamol combination for pain. Please suggest.  Read Full »

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay

Dentist, Endodontist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your query. Kindly upload an image of the painful carious tooth. I would walk you through the management needed to resolve the issue once and for all. Unless you receive proper treatment, the pain will get worse. I would suggest: 1) Tablet Clavam (...  Read Full »

Why do I sensitivity to hot and cold at the extracted site?

Query: Hi doctor, Before three weeks back, I have removed one of my teeth as it was destroyed due to cavity and I had some infection over it. After that, I started to have a cold sensitivity on that spot. I started to have a lot of pain over it. After that cold sensitivity has turned to heat sensitivity t...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentist, Endodontist, Pedodontist, Periodontist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sensitivity to cold or hot substances occurs when you have a deep cavity or severe gum recession with exposed roots on any of the teeth. You need to consult your dentist again and confirm that you do not have a cavity on the adjacent tooth where you have a sensitivity o...  Read Full »

What can cause intrinsic yellow spots on some teeth?

Query: Hi doctor,I am 23 years old. I have developed a kind of intrinsic spot on one of my canines. After few years, I noticed the same appearing on the other tooth. Secondly, I can see an accumulation of plaque on the inner side of the lower incisors. I do not have any other medical conditions apart from ...  Read Full »

Dr. Bharat Joshi

Dentist, Periodontist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The first spot appears to be due to vitamin D deficiency or calcium deficiency while the second and third spots are due to extrinsic stains. I suggest you do scaling to remove the stains. However, the first one seems to be incipient caries. So observe it and please send...  Read Full »

How to treat a broken tooth?

Query: Hi doctor,My son has a problem with his tooth. I am attaching the picture of the teeth. He had a bit of piece broken from the tooth. It does not cause pain. But he has a fear to consult a dentist. Please suggest.   Read Full »

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay

Dentist, Endodontist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the attached picture and X-ray (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your son has a carious tooth in the lower left first molar. As it has reached the pulp, the tooth needs a root canal treatment to resolve the issue. The procedure is pai...  Read Full »

Why is there a pimple-type bump seen on the lower gums on the left side?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a pimple type bump on the left side in my mouth on the lower gums for the last ten days. There is no pain in the pimple but it pains while eating at the teeth present in the back which are used for chewing. I take medicines for BP, brain, and cholesterol. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay

Dentist, Endodontist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your query. I am very sorry for the discomfort. As a specialist, I am here to help you. Kindly upload an image of the painful tooth. I would like to see the (pimple area), whether it is a sinus tract. I suspect periapical abscess. Kindly Mention the n...  Read Full »

How to manage my broken molar tooth pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a broken molar causing a lot of pain and lethargy. I cannot afford a dentist and I fear about sepsis. It has broken over a year but now pains a lot and making me feel feverish.  Read Full »

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay

Dentist, Endodontist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your query and the attached image (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Lethargy and elevated temperature are classical signs of infection from sepsis. As your lower left second molar is grossly carious leading to root stump, it is gettin...  Read Full »

Why do I have pain in my lower tooth only on pressing or after chewing?

Query: Hello doctor, After taking a meal, when I press my tooth with an upper tooth, I feel the pain. Normally, it does not cause pain but after eating it occurs. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay

Dentist, Endodontist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Kindly upload an image of the painful tooth. Once I see, I will let you know the cause and walk you through the management needed to resolve it. Let me know whether any hard food or accidental bite upon a rice stone that might lead to a facture through and through, ...  Read Full »

Is it wise to remove gum abscess with surgical scissors on my own?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a small gum abscess on the rear side of my lower left molar about the size of a skin tag. I have had this issue for about three weeks, but it has been tolerable until today. When it has got exponentially more painful to eat, brush, and even move the area with my tongue, would i...  Read Full »

Dr. Beryl Fredrick

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, it is a bad idea to snip the abscess. If this abscess involves the gum edge along with tartar (hardened yellow food deposit), that could be gingivitis or gingival abscess. A scaling and polishing procedure should be done to remove the tartar after which the gin...  Read Full »